HELP! new seizures and now blindness

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Cardeedo

HELP! new seizures and now blindness

Post by Cardeedo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:52 am

My 6 year old collie cross starting have seizures 72 hours ago. His first was a tonic-clonic (Grand Mal) which lasted 1 min. Since it was late at night my regular vet said to bring him in in the morning for a full workup or take him into the emergency vet college hospital if another seizure occurred over night. He had a partial followed by grand mal in the car on the way to vet in the morning. My amazing vet did a complete work up for all extra-cranial causes, everything was normal, CBC and diff normal, Ab and kidney ultra sound normal, chest xrays normal, ab xrays normal, liver function and kidney function tests normal. After finding nothing she arranged for a MRI at the vet college at our university. but that night he starting seizing again, 2 grand mals back to back. I took him immediately to the vet college hospital and he was admitted into the ICU. He has now been in the ICU for 2 days and all-in-all I am really unhappy with the treatment that we have received there so far, there is no continuity in his care and no communication between vets or even with us! I am a physician myself and had to pull leverage just to visit my little guy in the ICU! anyways... he was put on pheno in the hospital which has no stopped the seizures (2 days no seizures) although now the vet thinks he is blind. I went to see him myself and yes he is blind. my heart literally crushed into the stomach. His pupils are fine and responsive as normal but he has no "blink to threat" and he cant navigate to his food dish. My medical knowledge makes me think this is a prolonged post ictal blindness but from which seizure..... he hasn't had one in over a day! I am so worried that he wont regain his sight back since it has already been just over 24 hours. Can anyone comment (hopefully positively) about prolonged post ictal blindness? Can he still recovery if it has already been a day???! Being a single female doctor with no kids, he is my whole family.

aking8488

Re: HELP! new seizures and now blindness

Post by aking8488 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:18 am

I can comment about it. Our poodle was blind for about 2 days after her first bout of cluster seizures (16-20 seizures in a 24 hour period). Her eyesight came back slowly but was fully restored by the third day. Several episodes since with no blindness, although no clustering to extent of that first episode. Good luck.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:39 pm

When Jake first started seizing his eyesight wasn't normal for at least two days after, and he wasn't clustering then. When he was over medicated back in June his eyesight wasn't normal for over a week. It was hard to watch, but we were told that until his levels were normal his eyesight would be affected. I've heard others here say that after having clusters and ICU visits, it takes awhile for their dogs to come back to normal.

Lynne

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:53 am

Cali had blind episodes after an ER stay. She would be fine, then would start freaking out because she couldn't see (no blink to threat) 6 episodes, lasted 1/2 day then fine.
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day