Are these symptoms of idiopathic epilepsy or brain tumor?

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Kipsmom

Re: Are these symptoms of idiopathic epilepsy or brain tumor

Post by Kipsmom » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi -

Now that you've had the neurological exam, I'll bet that the neurologists at the med school would be willing to answer that question for you by phone. I think there are varying opinions on what constitutes "control," and have heard anything from once per month (our vet) to once every three months as a goal (our neuro.) But they are the experts, and I think they would be happy to answer that for you without you going back in for an appt.
Our neuro was wonderful about answering messages I left for him by phone.
Ellen and Kip
Corgi/Lab/Shepherd mix - 50 lb
750 mg KBr QD
200 mg Zonisamide BID
1250 mg Levetiracetam (Keppra) TID
1st seizure 11/15/2012
In doggie heaven 8/20/13 :-(

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:34 am

Hi Marley's Dad,

I'm not sure there is an definitive answer to that ... seems like everyone has a different opinion on what is "control" ... all I can say is that when my Molly was having "A" seizure every 2 weeks with very little post-ictal the vet wasn't concerned and didn't even suggest med's. ... it wasn't until she started having 'cluster's" every 2 weeks for several months running that we started down the med. road ... and we started the med's alittle over a month ago ... Molly went from every 2 weeks to a month between seizure's making every one including me happy ... now with upping the regiment from 2 x's to 3 x's a day dosing we're gonna try and stretch the once a month to longer between seizure's ... I have a feeling that even if there was a miracle that Molly went several months between seizure's I wouldn't call it "good seizure control" even if my vet thought so ... only because for me good control means it doesn't happen anymore, which I doubt we'll ever see ... it wasn't until she started having "cluster's that everyone got concerned including me so you can imagine how much I wish we could return to the days of single seizures ...

keep us posted ...

Chris & Molly
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:29 am

My vet defined control as one seizure every 30+ days.

Since Cali is a cluster pup and has 5-10 seizures once she starts, the 30 day timing is out the window. For Cali, my definition of control is one "cluster" every 5-10 months.

Try and get the neurologists email address, mine is GREAT at responding to email. She said she only has to see Cali once a year to continue giving advice and is happy to respond to my emails/calls and/or any questions from the vets at the ER when they need some help with Cali.
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

Marley's Dad

Post by Marley's Dad » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:11 pm

Marley has had a rough 38 hours. He had a seizure Friday at 8am, then another at 11pm, and two today: one at 2am and another just about 20 minutes ago. Since his last seizure cycle two weeks ago (which included another seizure early Saturday morning), I upped his Keppra from 1500mg to 2000mg, but it seems as though he's repeating the cycle just the same. I upped from 1000mg to 1500mg after a bad window of seizures that prompted me to post this thread.This makes me wonder how much of a difference the Keppra is making, if any. It seems like every 12-14 days he has a spell of 2-4 seizures regardless of the dosage. I'm thinking about calling the vet on Monday to try Zonisamide, but I may wait to see what effects, if any, adding melatonin will have for him at night time.

As many of you are probably familiar with, I always worry about a brain tumor when he has these episodes. He's happy save for the post-ictal period, so I don't think the seizures are affecting his quality of life, but the worry is like a softball sized bag of lead shot dragging my heart deeper into my chest.

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:31 am

hi Marley's Dad,

soooo sorry to hear about your guy's two day's ... this is definitely a very hard disease to deal with or get a handle on ... my keppra situation is just as bizarre ... at two dose's a day we went from an every 14 days seizure pattern to 28 days between seizure's ... I added a 3rd dose per day and came home tonight to "she's obviously had a seizure" while I was at work and it's only been 22 days since the last one ... I woulda thought adding a 3rd dose per day would of expanded the 28 day pattern to an even longer period between seizures ... but instead it shortened to somewhere in between the 14 days and 28 days ... I know at some point I'm gonna have to add the Zonisamide ... or do we drop the Keppra and go only with the Zonisamide ... or do we up the dosage of keppra first before trying the Zonismide ... or ... or ... or ... *think I have a headache* ...

how much melatonin do you give him? ... I've been giving Molly(27lbs) 5 mg's melatonin at bedtime and so far she hasn't had a "night-time seizure ... knock's wood ...

please keep posting and let us know how it's going ...

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13