Only Seizes in Car???

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

trappedinga

Only Seizes in Car???

Post by trappedinga » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi. I am the owner of a 6 1/2 year old Golden Retriever Mix (and when I say, MIX, I mean MIXED). She was dropped outside my house in a rainstorm as a very young puppy. (She was about 8 lbs. - full grown, she is about 78 lbs.) Anyway, my vet and I are trying to figure out if she has epilepsy or??? The ONLY TIME she has a seizure is when we put her into the car to go somewhere - groomer, vet. Because of her seizures, we don't "go" very many places. The vet insists he has NEVER seen a dog who only seizes in the car and has implied that she "must be seizing other places". Well, I have been her "mom" since she was tiny, and NO, I have never seen her seize any other place.

Does anyone else have a similar situation? The vet wants to start her on phenabarbitol, and I am supposed to take her to "see him" on Saturday. We are trying to decide if she needs a regular dose of phenabarb, or just a preventative several days before a trip.

Any response is welcome.

Thank you,
Wendy

Chris Douglas

Re: Only Seizes in Car???

Post by Chris Douglas » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:17 am

Hi wendy,

although this isn't a "going for a car ride" exactly ... it does show that single situation's can cause seizures:

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/disease ... inpets.htm

in this case it was every time they went to the vet's ...

and my vet mentioned early on that a person she know's has a seizure issue with their dog every time the doorbell ring's or someone knock's on the door, excitement over company arriving ...

so in one way your very fortunate to know what the "trigger" is ... :D

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

cesullivan

Re: Only Seizes in Car???

Post by cesullivan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:23 am

The way my neurologist explained it to me is there is a seizure threshold. Many things can lead up to seizures and the triggers can be different. I think of it as building up, building up, building up and when she gets in your car, the extra excitement throws her over the top and she has seizures.

Pheno works by building up a blood level so before a trip may not help. A drug like Keppra that I use to prevent clusters in Cali may be a better option as it can be started and stopped and I don't believe it needs to be weened off like Pheno.

Best of luck.
Chris
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day