R.I.P. Apache

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Apache

R.I.P. Apache

Post by Apache » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:20 pm

My apologies for not posting that often the past year or so. There are two reasons for that. One, many of you own dogs that are on a cocktail of drugs that I am not familiar with, so I could be of no assistance with their side-effects. Secondly, I became somewhat superstitious. It almost came to the point that whenever I'd post something, Apache would have a seizure that evening. I'm partially convinced on the 'full moon' theory as well.

Anyway, I recognize some familiar names that are still around that helped our family out when Apache started having seizures. Lynne, (Gentle Jacob's Mom), who I have kept in constant contact with up to this day. Then there's richmauer, and Vivian. I can't believe you're going through this a second time, Vivian! Hoping greater success this time around for you.

I have read so many postings over the years on this site. Some made me crack a smile, but, more often than not, it saddened me, and my family. Especially when a newcomer showed up, as you just say to yourself, 'not another case'. Because, you know what it may be like for themselves and their dogs down the road. How long down the road? That's anyone's guess.

Take it from me, this is one great site when you need advice and a shoulder to lean on. The people here are very knowledgeable as they are living it day by day, hour to hour, first-hand! From past to present members, I thank everyone who has posted here offering their advice and posting their successes they've had with certain supplements and medications.

On that note, it's been 3 weeks today since we had to put Apache to sleep. He was weeks shy of his 6th birthday, and we have taken that as a victory of sorts. (Starting to look at it that way, now). His initial prognosis was we would be lucky to get him to the age of 4. Apparently, German Shepherds are one of the hardest to gain control (and we never did), plus the type of seizures and frequency of them all weighed heavily against him. In the end, no amount of medication could help him. They kept coming every 15 minutes past the hour. After the 24th seizure in 2 days, the emergency vet suggested we help him out, and there was only one way as much as we didn't want to let him go. He had faced 17 seizures once and he bounced back. But, this was different this time around. Very different and scary.

God bless you my big puppy! You will always be loved, Apache!

Thanks for allowing me to vent, gang. I wish you all the very best with your boy's and girl's! Never give up on them! Cherish every moment!

Brian

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: R.I.P. Apache

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi Brian,
I want to let those who are new to CEN know that you have been a support to me and a lot of epi dog owners over the years. You joined just 4 days before I did. Or maybe I should say that I joined after two years of visiting CEN and not wanting to admit that my dog was that bad. You have been such a support to me and my family. As you know it broke my heart when I found out that you'd lost Apache, but I know Apache along with all of the epi dogs that we have lost make it possible for the rest of us to keep fighting the war against this horrible disease. I was just telling Dave tonight that I wanted to check in and see how you were doing. I want you to know that your input was so important to everyone here. No matter the degree of experience with the meds, the experience with this disease is universal. It's heartbreaking and relentless, and when there is someone who comes on to comfort, and help guide through this maze it means so much. (I really do understand about being superstitious)
Also, I know for a fact that Apache knew he was loved.

I wish you, and your family peace. And Apache, I send you a hug from the universe.
Lynne

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:16 am

Brian,

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. I know first hand how you feel and what you're going thru, it's so much harder to lose our babes when we've tried so valiantly to save them, only to lose them so young.

I know how you feel with being superstitious. I haven't been posting as much this second go-round because I'm mentally tired from dealing with epilepsy. My heart was forever broken when I lost my MK..it's something I'll never get over, but when the monster hit us the second time I couldn't believe it could happen again. I come here every so often because I want to help, but I get depressed when I read the posts, so this time I'm shying away a bit.

Be gentle with yourself during this time, I know how hard this is for you. Sleep softly sweet Apache, you never deserved the hand that was dealt you.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:06 am

Brian,

I am so sorry about your loss of Apache. I can understand the heartache that goes along with losing a hairy baby and truly feel for you during this time. I admire you for doing what was in his best interest and believe with all my heart that if he could thank you would. Not just for making such a courageous decision but loving him, caring for him, the comfort you provided and not giving up.

My thoughts & prayers are with you.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:29 pm

So Sorry...Cali sends over some E-licks...
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

Kipsmom

Post by Kipsmom » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:25 pm

Brian,

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a tough thing to do, to let them go, but sometimes it just can't be helped. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.
Ellen and Kip
Corgi/Lab/Shepherd mix - 50 lb
750 mg KBr QD
200 mg Zonisamide BID
1250 mg Levetiracetam (Keppra) TID
1st seizure 11/15/2012
In doggie heaven 8/20/13 :-(

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:57 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss Brian. It's such a tough road and most of us will reach the point of making the same difficult decision. It is a victory for Apache to have made it so far and he would have never done so without your support and your love. My blessings to you and your family.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

msersante

Post by msersante » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:58 am

Brian,

I am so sorry to hear about your beloved Apache. May he rest in peace. At least there won't be any more suffering. It is such a hard decision to let them go... Hang in there!

naomiwhite90

Post by naomiwhite90 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:28 pm

Ohh... and i was wondering that this topic is related to Apache 'helicopter'