Waiting For The Other Shoe

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Esmo

Waiting For The Other Shoe

Post by Esmo » Sat May 24, 2014 9:09 am

As I sit here and watch Maggie sleeping in her chair I can't help but wonder/wait to see when/if the next seizure will happen. We are on the new drug regime and so far this is the best she has been since we adopted her. Bright-eyed, sassy and full of beans. Yet we all look at each other and are thinking she has never gone more than 3 1/2weeks without a cluster seizure episode. I feel us subtlety changing our routine so she isn't left alone and so at least two of us are close by. We haven't really spoken of it but the sense is there that if we don't make longer than the 3 weeks, or if she ends up in another horrible cluster like the last one (over a dozen seizures in 24 hours and 3 days at various vets) we may be running out of options. It feels like everything is riding on the Keppra. I know I am over-thinking and over-reacting, but I can't seem to turn my brain off. It isn't helping that my husband brought home my sweet Bubba kiity Feorge's ashes yesterday...

So we watch her closely, react to every tic and sound....it is going to be a long week-end and not in the usual sense.
Esmo and Maggie
Dachshund/Beagle Mix
Rescued 12/16/13
First seizure 1/31/13
Last seizure 9/23/14
48 mg of Phenobarbital 2x day
150 mg of Zonisamide 2x day
500 mg of LevetiracetamER (Keppra) 2x day
200 mg of Gabapentin 3x day

MK's mom

Re: Waiting For The Other Shoe

Post by MK's mom » Sat May 24, 2014 10:18 am

i know how afraid you are, but try to relax and tell yourself to relish in the good hours/days. Your pup can pick up on your fear and anxiety, so if you can just exhale and tell yourself how wonderful it is for her and you that she's not seizing today, she'll relax, too.

I hope the keppra is the drug that will work for her!! Have a happy Memorial Day weekend and ENJOY IT!!
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Apache

Post by Apache » Sat May 24, 2014 1:50 pm

I really can't add much more to what Vivian just suggested. I know how you're feeling, though. We were 21-28 days between seizures, normally (all of them of the cluster variety). There were times that we'd make it to the 42 day mark. And, once even 2 1/2 months. Course, once it was 7 days. We felt the same as you. Basically on pins and needles knowing that it's uncommon for our guy to go that long seizure-free. Your feelings are only normal. But, as Vivian suggested, try and remain calm, as Maggie will pick up on your anxiousness and anxiety. Try not to wear yourself down by worrying too much. I know, much easier said, than done. But, do try and do your utmost.

Hopefully Keppra is the answer to Maggie's situation. Crossing my fingers for you!

Brian

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Sun May 25, 2014 10:45 pm

When it would hit day 14, I would start to panic, knowing the clusters were around the corner...then got the meds straightened out...kept waiting and waiting, knowing it was coming...waited for 7 months...then a bad cluster episode...now June 10th will be a full year. Just hoping you find the right balance.

Although, I would still question your vet about the Keppra only twice a day. If it's Extended Release, then okay, but if it isn't, 3xs a day is what my dogs neurologist had Cali on. Just double check... If I didn't double check, Cali would be on 1,650MG Potassium Bromide twice a day instead of once a day after an ER stay.

Chris&Cali
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue May 27, 2014 12:38 pm

Hope you were able to sit back and get some relaxation during the weekend. I understand where you're coming from. Today will be day 25 seizure free, can't remember the last time he went that long, probably 4 years ago when this all started. It's hard to live with a disease that is so unpredictable and trying not to be on edge waiting for the one we know is coming, then the whole, will there be more than one?? There are no guarantees, we can only try to live with this stupid disease and not for it.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Esmo

Post by Esmo » Tue May 27, 2014 3:13 pm

Thank you all. I have tried to be calm and not project to Miss Mags how anxious I am. We had a good week-end and she is acting very normal (loving and slightly naughty)...we have our "crash kit" ready and are just going day by day. I would be thrilled to make it to 4 weeks and contain the seizures to one or two (and staying at home).

The Keppra is the extended release- I did ask about that since everything I had read prior said 3x a day. My daughter is walking Maggie every day and we have seen a real increase in strength - she has gone from being unable to jump up onto Hannah's bed to making it every time. I am telling myself that everything we are doing, exercise, medication, home-made meals is helping get this disease under control...
Esmo and Maggie
Dachshund/Beagle Mix
Rescued 12/16/13
First seizure 1/31/13
Last seizure 9/23/14
48 mg of Phenobarbital 2x day
150 mg of Zonisamide 2x day
500 mg of LevetiracetamER (Keppra) 2x day
200 mg of Gabapentin 3x day