Help requested

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

msersante

Help requested

Post by msersante » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:36 am

Hi,

Amber is our 2 year old great pyreneese. She has been diagnosed when she was still 1 year old last March as having epilepsy. I have always had dogs but have never had this experience before.

She stated with Pexion and as the seizures were still occurring weeklly the dosage was upped to the max (she is taking 6 tablets daily). This took us to 14 days seizure free.

The vet then introduced bromide/libromide and she has been on it for 2 weeks. Initially on the first two days she had to take 24 tablets each day plus the 6 Pexion which was 30 tablets a day for the firet two days!! A lot! As you can imagine she was pretty much wobbly.

Now she is at 3 tablets a day plus the Pexion. We have been seizure free for the past 16 days (today will be hopefully 17 days).

I am so glad I found this forum as it is nice to learn from everyone experience. Can someone help me with the following:

1) what is the max of seizure free days I could realistic expect?
2) Is there someone out there with the same combination of medicine (pexion and bromite/libromite) ? Is it working?
3) Does it get worse/better? What is the progression of this desease?
4) Amber has normally 2 to 3 seizures when she does and that happen i intervals of hours or a day. Last time she had one seizure per day on 3 days and then now she had been seizure free. When the seizure happens will it always be this way or can she have less??

I would appreciate any comments you can make to help me make sense of all this.

Thanks you!

Marcella

cesullivan

Re: Help requested

Post by cesullivan » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:19 am

Welcome and sorry you have to be here with us.

The length of time between seizures depends on the dogs response to the medication. For Example, Cali would have 4-5 cluster seizures every 2 weeks and was on 3 different medicines. The vet suggested adding another and removing the other 3 and she went 7 months seizure free. We added back in another one and she just made it a full year seizure free. She is on Potassium Bromide and Phenobarbital. Cali's neurologist said that for some reason she has had success with the Potassium Bromide on Big Dogs that do not seem to respond to the newer meds. The vets consider less than one seizure a month controlled.

If you have a cluster dog (multiple seizures), it seems like they will always be a cluster dog. The goal with the meds, is just gaining time in between and reducing the number in the cluster.

I was heart broken until we got her meds correct. It was a long process, took 2 years til we got it right.

Best of luck,
Chris & Cali
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Welcome to the boards although sorry it has to be under these conditions.

From my experience with Shiloh is that he is completely unpredictable and can't really say there's been any type of "progression". I tell people the only thing predictable about this is it's unpredictability. He too is a cluster dog and after 4 years we are still struggling to find the right combo. Thought we had it until this weekend and am pretty sure we'll increase one of his meds when I call the vet tomorrow. With that said, it's really important to know that every dog is different and one persons failure could be your success.

I bet Amber is a beauty. Great Pyrenese are one of my favorite breeds. They are such gently giants. Wishing good things your way.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

msersante

Post by msersante » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi

Thank you for your replies.

At present after adding the bromite to the pexion Amber was seizure free for 28 days in the first month and then it was 25 on the second. As a result the vet prescribed Keppra today and she is so groggy and unstable! It is heartbreaking... Really thinking about skipping the med tonight...

She is a beauty but it is hard seeing her like that.

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:22 pm

It is hard to watch them, but skipping meds isn't the answer because the seizure itself is more damaging than the side effect of them meds. Hang in there, once Amber adjusts to the Keppra she should even out.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

msersante

Post by msersante » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:49 am

Hi,

Did not give Keppra last night to Amber as she was really unwell. I know that sometimes they become groggy with the medication but she was not even able to stand and walk...she was not well.

I am worried she is on too many medication at present. I discussed that with the vets today and we agreed to remove Keppra from the equation...at least for now..

We will continue on Pexion and Libromite and she is do to go to the vet for some blood test to see if she has the right level of libromite on her system. If her seizures becomes closer together it is possible she may still have to have Keppra or another medicine (I forgot the name but apparently is the one with more side effects) and wean he off Pexion (I don't think Pexion is doing the job).

Even though she hasn't had any more Keppra, this morning she was sick and still very unstable. I hope she will get better soon.