New Diagnosis, Urinary Incontinence, 13 yr old dog

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

SarahA

New Diagnosis, Urinary Incontinence, 13 yr old dog

Post by SarahA » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Hi everyone,
Our 13 year old Lab mix had her first seizures Thursday- one around 1 am. She then had 3 early Friday between 1 am and 6am, so we took her to the vet first thing Friday morning. She had one while at the vet. He has diagnosed epilepsy (blood work was fine).

She is on phenobarbital, 2 tablets twice daily (I think that's 62.4 mg twice daily). No seizures since, but she has become incontinent. We take her out about midnight, but she urinates on the dining room carpet sometime in the night, when we are asleep. She also needed to go out more during the day, and if we had not been home to take her out everytime she woke from a nap and walked around, she would have urinated in the house. Last night she defecated int he house, too. We are pretty sure these accidents aren't happening from seizures- she's taken to sleeping in one room and these occurred outside that room.

Does urinary incontinence ever get better, such as once the dog becomes used to the phenobarbital? if your dog became better, how long did it take? Any suggestions for dealing with this? Doggy day care may not be an option due to expense and that my commute barely allows enough time to get our son on time from after school and summer programs.

Sarah

Sammy
Yellow Lab Mix
13 yrs old
First seizure 6/26/2014
Last seizure 6/27/2104
Phenobarbital 62.4 mg x2
Sarah and Andy
Parents of Sammy
13.5 year old yellow lab mix
First seizure 6/26/2014
Last seizure 6/27/2014
Pheno 64.8 bid

Eley's Mom

Re: New Diagnosis, Urinary Incontinence, 13 yr old dog

Post by Eley's Mom » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:39 am

Phenobarbital can increase thirst which will increase how often they urinate.

My Boston developed incontinence around the same time that the seizures began (about a couple weeks before actually). She's on Proin for the incontinence and hasn't had an accident since about day 2 of the meds.
Diana & Eley
Boston Terrier (23 lbs)
DOB: 11/12/09
First Seizure 2/8/14
Last Seizure 10/9/16
Phenobarbital 48.6mg (morning), 56.7mg p.m. (night)
3 mL Potasium Bromide, once daily
Clorazepate as needed after seizures

SpencerBhumi

Post by SpencerBhumi » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi Sarah,

I’m sorry that you need to join us, but welcome.

As Diana commented, the pheno might increase thirst which will increase the drinking and therefore to need to urinate - but we experienced increased hunger more-so, then increased thirst when we added salt based drugs.

Our greatest issue with ‘loss of house training’ seems to be during Spencer’s foggy brain moment lasting a week or two after a cluster, where he has had numerous fits requiring the need to add/bolus a bunch of drugs to control that cluster. It seems that during this period Spencer just returns to some wildlife lifestyle, following his instictive urges.

A lot has happened to Eley in the last week so hopefully as she settles into her medication regimen as and her foggy post ictal brain clears, her domestic lifestyle (good training & good manners) will return. Sadly you need to grin & bear it in the meantime.

I hope things do settle quickly for you both.

Regards,
Trevor & Spencer

Grateful for the good days, weeks (months).

SarahA

Post by SarahA » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks for the replies. She made it through Tuesday without an accident except sometime in the wee hours (is that why they call them that :wink:) . But her newest thing is not wanting to get up and walk. He couldn't get her out before bed last night, and around 0030 this morning I had her out in the front yard and the neighbor's yard, waiting for her to pee. She finally did about 15-20 minutes into hanging out outside. He couldn't get her to walk at noon when he came home, and she didn't want to go out when I got home from work and grabbed the leash. Took her about an hour to decide to get up and go out. I think we've just resigned to the fact that we will probably need to have the carpets cleaned several times. We have a carpet cleaner in the shed , so it's time to drag it out, I think.

Her ataxia seems worse than it did a couple of days ago. Lots more stumbling, losing balance. She ate dinner lying down. We're going to give the vet a ring tomorrow just to see if he wants to adjust the dose or thinks this is just part of adjusting to the meds.

Thanks,
Sarah and Andy, parents of
Sammy
13.5 yr old yellow lab mix
first seizure 6/26/2014
last seizure 6/27/2014
Pheno 64.8 bid
Sarah and Andy
Parents of Sammy
13.5 year old yellow lab mix
First seizure 6/26/2014
Last seizure 6/27/2014
Pheno 64.8 bid

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:49 pm

Cali (4) will loose bladder control for a few days after her seizures. I seem to just buy new dog beds at Costco. The phenobarbital does make them drink a lot. In fact, last week, she drank a ton of water before bed, I had to stop her it was that much. I took her out at midnight to pee as she was standing at the bedroom door. Then when we got up at 6, she had lost her bladder on the dog bed :(
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day