NEW - 9 yr. old Min. Schnauzer (anesthesia related?)

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

jcdavison1

NEW - 9 yr. old Min. Schnauzer (anesthesia related?)

Post by jcdavison1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:12 am

Hi everyone,

My 9 yr. old Miniature Schnauzer, Popeye, had his first seizure yesterday around 4 am while we were sleeping. It was a generalized (grand mal) seizure - fell over on his side, legs paddling, drooling and foaming, panting and ended up urinating himself. It was lasted about 40 seconds to a minute and it was the scariest thing I've ever witnessed with him. I just kept rubbing his side until he came around. We took him to the vet that morning and he had another seizure (maybe about 5 hours after the first incident) in their care and they gave him some valium. They kept him for the entire day to watch him and no seizures after that. I was able to pick him up yesterday evening and sent me home with Keppra (250 mg every 8 hrs.) for the next couple of weeks. The strange thing is that the day prior to his seizure, he had just gotten his teeth cleaned for the first time. They used Propofol and some Torbugesic and Acepromazine. They did bloodwork prior to the teeth cleaning and everything came back normal. The doctors kept trying to come up with some answers, but they couldn't give me a definitive answer. Other than this incident, he's been pretty healthy. He's had high liver enzyme levels in the past, but when we started changing his food and diet, those levels went down to normal ranges. So basically, he's on the Keppra for a couple of weeks and we're seeing if that helps. I have liquid valium to give him rectally in case he has another seizure. I'm just going out of my mind with worry. Every time he shuts his eyes or moves, I feel like I'm watching his every move. I know I can't keeping thinking that the next seizure is going to come any minute, but I can't help it. I feel helpless and I can't help but be filled with worry about the next seizure. I wish I could just work from home and be with him 24/7. I wish I knew what the cause was and I'm racking my brain to think of any strange occurrences in the past that may give some kind of explanation, but then again the more I think of it, the more I make it a symptom. So far, he's not had any more seizures but I can't help but think of the worst and think that this will be a life long battle. My husband is hopeful it may go away, but I know it can't be that easy. Sorry for the long post! I'm new to all of this and would appreciate any advice - leaving your dog at home while you work, changes in diet that will help, seizure proofing your bed and their crate, anything! Thanks!

cesullivan

Re: NEW - 9 yr. old Min. Schnauzer (anesthesia related?)

Post by cesullivan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:29 pm

You may want to have your vet confirm this, but I do remember a vet telling me that Acepromazine is contra-indicated for dogs who have epilepsy as it can lower the seizure threshold.

So, although your pup may have epilepsy, it is possible that the Ace was the cause of the seizure.

Chris
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:02 am

Usually after the age of 5 they start looking at brain tumors, tick borne diseases, etc., for the cause of seizures. Hopefully, the keppra will keep the seizures away and when you wean him off he won't seize again. All you can do is have an MRI done and a spinal tap to rule those things out (very expensive), do blood work to rule out anything unusual and wait. I'm hoping at 9 yo something else triggered a seizure and he doesn't have epilepsy.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this. Did the blood test the vets do check Popeyes thyroid level? Thyroid issues can cause seizures.

I've put a waterproof mattress pad on the bed and one on the chair Shiloh likes to sit on. I keep towels at different places in the house to get to them quicker. As far as leaving him while I'm not home, I've done the best I can to look at anything he might knock over on himself or that pokes out and moved it. Also remove anything that he might eat and swollow during the post ictal, Shiloh will try to chew on everything after a seizure and the more he has the worse the post ictal is.

Hopefully Popeye won't have anymore seizures and you'll find out what had caused them.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16