First seizure but.....

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Pauljdonovan

First seizure but.....

Post by Pauljdonovan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Hey I have a two year old boy he is a Douge de boardaux (French mastiff)
He had a grand mal seizure 3 weeks ago it was pretty scary episode ,
It lasted 3 mins then he started to running into the walls putting 5 holes in my house ,
Took him a good 40 mins to calm Down, took him for test all came out pretty good.
But he has not been diagnosed with epilepsy as of yet because he has has only had one that we know off because we work all day not sure if he is having them during the day , but he has be having hypnic jerks whilst he is just about to go to sleep we he jumps up opens his mouth right up into the air then lays back down , I am not sure if these are focal seizures or they might be normal for some dogs to do this , any comments or advice would be much appreciated thanks Paul

ShilohsMom

Re: First seizure but.....

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:57 am

Hi Paul. Welcome to the boards, but it's always sad to welcome new members because I know why they're here.

When Shiloh had his first GM, the ER vet diagnosed him with idiopathic epilepsy because the blood work all came back OK. We didn't start meds until he started having more of them just in case it was an isolated episode. It does sound as if your dog is having focal seizures, is there any way for you to record the episodes so you can show them to the vet?

Shiloh takes a while to calm down after his seizures and the more seizures he has in a short period (clusers), the longer it takes for him to get back to normal. That period of time afterwards is the post ictal stage and it can wear you out. Shiloh had 9 seizures over the weekend and it will take him days before he settles down.

Best wishes for your boy.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

scratch

Post by scratch » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:21 pm

He needs to be watched closely 24 hrs a day for the next month or so. I would confine him to a smaller area in the home that you could prep in the event he seizes while you are away.

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi Paul,
As you said, there were holes in walls...you can look for signs when you get home if there was a seizure. I looked for foam on the carpet where Cali normally sleeps. She would pace for hours after, so if she was pacing, she had a seizure. Get a video of the before bed activity, it could be seizure activity of some sort.

Sorry you had to join and good luck. It does get better. Took Cali almost 2 years to get her meds right.

Chris
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

Pauljdonovan

Post by Pauljdonovan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:04 am

Yea the holes where came about when he came to from his seizure but could not control him he is A big boy 70 kgs , it's just a bit shit mind my language he had 3 full on seizures in 12 hrs last night , so he is spending the night at the vets and has been finally given the eplipsy medication which now we will have to wait and see how he goes .
Very stressfull time for us and him especially he is only two years old ,
The biggest thing I am worried about is when he comes to heruns and he is pretty much blind for a while would hate for him to run the glass doors or really hurt him self .
I caught those focal seizures on video and he agreed and said looks very much like a focal seizure so I wish the vet put him on medication earlier than for us to wait and have to watch him go this .
Cheers all Paul

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:14 am

Paul,

Can you confine your Dogue to a small space in the house? I know it's hard, but they DO ram into things when going thru post ictal.

There was a gal on the boards years ago who lives in NZ and had an epileptic Dogue. She was doing great on phenobarbital, didn't seize for 9 months and the vet decided to wean her off. She went into status and passed away. :(
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:55 am

my foster dog Jim goes blind as well. I take him outside after the first seizure so he walks into the fences instead of the walls in the house. Hopefully the meds will lessen the post ictal phase. Maybe he will just walk into the walls like Jim.
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:26 am

I hope your dog doesn't injure his skull or break his neck walking into your fencing. My boy used to go full tilt after a seizure, I had to crate him to keep him from killing himself.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Pauljdonovan

Post by Pauljdonovan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:07 am

5 days without a seizure the vet has put him phenomav twice a day he is very dopey at the moment , and his hind legs turn into jelly but the vet said that it might take two weeks for him to get used to the medication
Does anyone in this forum use phenomav I have heard it can cause liver problems any advice on this would be awesome thanks

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:48 am

It looks like phenomav has phenobarbital in it so that is probably why they warn of possible liver problems. I've never heard of phenomav, but if it is like phenobarbital the best thing to do is keep up with blood tests to catch any problems. There have been some dogs here that have had issues with it. So keep up with his blood work for liver enzymes.
I was wondering if a soft helmet for him would help after a seizure. Maybe you could have him wear it as a game when he's not seizing so he would get used to it and it wouldn't be like you're putting something on him that would scare him after a seizure. Dogs that ride in motorcycle side cars wear them. They aren't expensive, and they look kind of cute. Maybe that would protect his head.

Lynne

SpencerBhumi

Post by SpencerBhumi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:12 am

Hi Paul (& Lynne),

Phenomav (the brand we use) is just the manufacturer’s brand name for plain old Phenobarbital.

As Lynne suggests, maintain regular blood (liver enzyme) checks now that you are using Pheno. Be guided by your vet.

Also consider adding Milk Thistle to supplement the Pheno and its side effects. We are stable on 300mg Pheno & about 1G Milk Thistle twice daily: Spencer weighs about 23Kg and his liver enzymes are steady in the high end of acceptable.

Someone on this forum suggested using Taurine as an added anti seizure agent so I am using this. The sales person in the health food shop (surprised to hear I am using it on my dog) says it is also good for liver support/regeneration.

The Pheno can cause drowsiness and dis-coordination when commenced (and when bolused/topped up – intravenously or orally –to combat clusters) but its effects should taper off in a week or two allowing a reasonably normal lifestyle.

WARNING – Pheno is known to exaggerate hunger so safe guard your dog from over eating, stealing food and eating hazardous non-food stuff (sticks, stones, clothing, litter, other). It might also cause increased thirst/drinking/weeing so just watch and see how that goes.

Lynne – a good idea on the dog helmet. There are many a time where Spencer has run hard into doors & walls in his post ictal blindness.

I hope the Pheno starts to get things better controlled for you and your Douge.

Regards,

Trevor & Spencer

Grateful for the good days, weeks (months).