Is the glass half-full or half-empty?

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Esmo

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?

Post by Esmo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Is the glass half-full or half empty? Maggie had another set of seizures yesterday. The bad news is – only 12 days since the last set, the good news – that is one day longer than the last interval so we had infinitesimal progress in lengthening the intervals. The other good news is that both seizures were much, much less severe than we had seen in the past and the post-ictal after the first one was mild to non-existent. The bad news is – she had two but they were 7 hours apart. The second seizure was also mild, but the post-ictal was more severe and lasted several hours.

One thing that was different between the two episodes was after the first seizure we didn’t administer the rectal Valium. By the time I got home from work to help Kim, the seizure was over and Mags seemed fine. We gave her the Clorazepate and an extra dose of her Pheno and left it at that. No post-ictal to speak of; however she did have the second seizure several hours later. We did give her the Valium during that one and her second dose of Clorazepate. We didn’t do the Pheno because she had just had her nightly dose of Gabapentin. As I said her post-ictal was worse, much pacing and anxiety. It took me until after 3:30 this morning to finally get her to settle enough we could get a couple of hours of sleep.

I believe that we may have achieved the best we are going to get. It seems to me that she has petit mal seizures quite often, several times a week but we are only getting a couple of break-through what I would term “petit-grand mal’s” (because they are actual seizures, but not full-blown out of control events) every 11-12 days. If two events a pattern makes….

I am going to start managing her post seizure medical regime myself and not following what was laid out initially. I don’t think we need the Valium every time, we are going to start evaluating that on an event by event basis – if the seizure doesn’t appear to be severe and is short, I don’t think she needs it and it seems that Valium contributes to her more agitated post-ictal behavior. We are supposed to give her the Clorazepate for 48-72 hours, but I am also going to reduce that to 24 hours (3 doses) unless we start to see her cluster. If I don’t and the intervals keep at the 10-12 day range, she is going to spend most of her time in a drug fog.
So, I am choosing to look at the glass as half-full (or I will once I get some sleep!).

As always, thanks for listening…

Kathy
Esmo and Maggie
Dachshund/Beagle Mix
Rescued 12/16/13
First seizure 1/31/13
Last seizure 9/23/14
48 mg of Phenobarbital 2x day
150 mg of Zonisamide 2x day
500 mg of LevetiracetamER (Keppra) 2x day
200 mg of Gabapentin 3x day

Esmo

Last night the glass looked half-empty

Post by Esmo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:27 am

We had an interesting evening with Maggie last night...for hours she paced, stopped, stared, tremored, trembled and at times look as if a seizure was going to start any second. I spend hours on the floor, calling quietly to her when she was in "stop/stare", stroking her gently and generally keeping an eye on her. It was almost as if I could see her system (and the medicine) fighting off a full-blown seizure. Finally at 9:00 we gave her a Clorezepate and at 10:00 her regular dose of Gabapentin and by 11:30 she had calmed down some and actually slept all night. This morning she seems to be fine and even ate with good appetite.

Has anyone else seen this? It was so nerve-wracking, I could see her physically almost going into a Grand Mal and her body fighting it off. We turned off the TV and turned down the lights to create a calm, quiet enviroment and as I said, spoke quietly to her. I could see her start out of a stare-trance when I called her name and she would shake her head and then come to me. Do you think it helped or am I grasping at straws. Does this mean the medicine is doing what it should? Maybe I have been too focused on increasing the intervals between seizures and not recognizing the benefits of less severe and seeing the times her system has not gone into a full-blown seizure event.

Anyway - it was a strange evening....but today I can think of the glass of half-full again. At least for a time...

Wishing all an uneventful day..

K
Esmo and Maggie
Dachshund/Beagle Mix
Rescued 12/16/13
First seizure 1/31/13
Last seizure 9/23/14

Princesca

Re: Is the glass half-full or half-empty?

Post by Princesca » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:04 pm

Sometimes I think I see it with Roscoe. He'll just sort of 'fog out' like he's staring at something I can't see, and he'll stand still, but wobble back and forth... when he does that, I try to engage him in something, because I'm worried he's about to seize. I'll feed him a little treat, or play with him. Anything to get his blood flowing and make him more active.
Proud mama to Roscoe, mixed Boxer/Tibetan Mastiff/German born in 2009
Keppra XR 2000mg every 12 hours, 7.5mg Prednisone daily, Zonisamide (dose TBD), monthly Percorten injection
First Seizure: 8/3/14
Last Seizure: 5/31/15

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:38 pm

I think I talked Jim out of having a seizure one day...or I should say postponed it until the next day. He was doing his pre-seizure rubbing of his chin on my leg and I picked up his head and talked him out of it. I even told my friends I talked him out of it, they gave me the "crazy nut" look. Then he had it the next day and they believed me.
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:04 am

I believe we have to see the glass half full or we'd drive ourselves nuts. I'm sorry that Maggie's been having issues and hope that you can get her straightened out.

Shiloh has those moments when I'd swear he was getting ready to have a seizure and then he'd sort of snap out of it. There are times though when I have him engaged and he'd still go into a GM, it's so frustrating.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Princesca

Post by Princesca » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:01 pm

I don't care whether it's half full or half empty, so long as what's in it is Jack Daniels. I could use a drink after all this!
Proud mama to Roscoe, mixed Boxer/Tibetan Mastiff/German born in 2009
Keppra XR 2000mg every 12 hours, 7.5mg Prednisone daily, Zonisamide (dose TBD), monthly Percorten injection
First Seizure: 8/3/14
Last Seizure: 5/31/15

Esmo

Post by Esmo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Princesca wrote:I don't care whether it's half full or half empty, so long as what's in it is Jack Daniels. I could use a drink after all this!
:lol:
Esmo and Maggie
Dachshund/Beagle Mix
Rescued 12/16/13
First seizure 1/31/13
Last seizure 9/23/14

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:37 pm

Princesca wrote:I don't care whether it's half full or half empty, so long as what's in it is Jack Daniels. I could use a drink after all this!
:lol: or maybe some Tito's vodka!!!
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:34 am

I'll second that... and I have many times over the last eight years :) We coming up on nine in a few days. I can't believe it. I hope so much that all of you have a much smoother journey than we've had, but you know, I would do it all over again if it meant having Jake in our lives. By the way, he's about 2 inches away from me, panting, and looking at me with his, "Where's My Treat!", face.

Lynne

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:39 am

That would be "We're coming up on nine years." Nope! Haven't been nipping this early in the morning although during the first year in this mess it was tempting!

Lynne

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:16 am

I don't drink, but the thought has crossed my mind that maybe I'm the one needing to take the Valium!
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16