New member with questions about Zonisamide

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

MK's mom

Re: New member with questions about Zonisamide

Post by MK's mom » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:07 am

The definition of a cluster is more than one seizure in a 24 hour period.

Are you keeping a journal of his seizures? If not, it's nice to be able to look back and see when the seizures occurred, how long and what time of day because sometimes we can see a connection to something.

I tilt my boy's head back, drop in the pills, rub his throat until he swallows and give him a biscuit as a chaser to push the pills down into his belly. Have you tried that instead of waterboarding (that was funny) him? :) Some dogs are just hard to pill, the owners have to get very creative. I'm lucky because any of my Irish Setters I've had over the years were good at taking their pills, but follow up food immediately was necessary or they could cough up the pill when I wasn't looking.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

CJoyner

Post by CJoyner » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:39 am

I did journal that day. The very first one started at 8am then second at 5pm and then the time decreased between them to only an hour or two between them through he night.
He was having them while sleeping, is that normal?
Shemp- 3yr male Pitt/boxer
1st seizure 7/25/14
Last seizure 10/4/14

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:12 am

When Shiloh first started having seizures they would typically happen when he was asleep. Now they can occur when he's sleeping or awake. The thing about epilepsy is there isn't a normal. What one dog will do, another won't. Same with the meds, one thing will work wonders for another and in others it doesn't. It's really frustrating because we all want that magic pill or solution and it can be really trying to find what works.

In my journal I write the seizures in red ink and make notes in black ink any time there was a change in behavior, or meds or whatever. It helps me visually distinguish actual seizures from the notes. Make sure to take your journal with your vet visits as well. That can be really helpful to them.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Teri

Post by Teri » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:30 pm

Bless your hearts! I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Sorry that you are dealing with this awful problem. At least you have detected some sort of pattern with Shemp's seizures. Never would have thought about cannabis, because it's not legal in the state where we live, but most of us would try anything that has a chance of working. Hang in there with your boy. Hopefully, it will get better and he'll be more like himself.
Rosie-female Boston Terrier
Born 8-29-2011
Rescued 9-30-2011
First observed seizure April 2013
Levetiracetam 250 mg 7 am
125 mg 6 pm
125 mg midnite
Valium tablet post seizure
Vailum injectable for clusters

CJoyner

Post by CJoyner » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:54 am

Having a bad day today. I tried to put the pill powder into the gravy on his food last night, and he wouldn't touch it. So I wasted three pills. This morning I was only able to get about a pill and a half down him.
He won't eat any type of dog food or the eggs I cooked. Im almost out of the prescript, I didn't want to refill it because I don't know what the vet is going to say tomorrow if maybe this isn't the right drug for him...
He hasn't had a seizure, yet but deff hasn't had his full dosage. He keeps scratching his face and falling over. Is this a sign one could be coming?
So completely frustrated right now.
Shemp- 3yr male Pitt/boxer
1st seizure 7/25/14
Last seizure 10/4/14

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:09 am

I'm so sorry that you're having a rough time of it. It's so stressful to know you have to do something for their own good, but they aren't cooperating. Are you trying to give him pills or capsules?

I wish Shiloh would give me a sign that a seizure was coming, but for him there is just no telling.

Hang in there and hopefully you'll be able to get some usable advice from your vet.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

SpencerBhumi

Post by SpencerBhumi » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi there,

It must be so frustrating and scary that your dog is not cooperating.

Have you got/tried a “pill popper” (e.g. something similar to these http://www.petshed.com/item/pill-popper-n and http://www.amazon.com/Lixit-Pill-Popper ... B005D7FEZG ) they might help make an impossible task less difficult, and are not too expensive in the grand scheme of our medicines.

I am thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

Trevor & Spencer
Grateful for the good days, weeks (months)