Jim's "episodes"

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

cesullivan

Jim's "episodes"

Post by cesullivan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:48 am

Well, seems like every 20ish days Jim either has Grand Mal seizures or "episodes".
This morning he did pre-ictal pacing, then started trembling and looked blind...happened twice. :cry:

On the bright side, today, Cali is 17 months seizure free :D
Chris
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

SpencerBhumi

Re: Jim's "episodes"

Post by SpencerBhumi » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about Jim's progress.
What do (can) you do to combat grand mals/clusters when you see this coming?

On the other hand, great news on Cali. I really hope this good streak continues.

Thinking of you,
Trevor.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Jim's "episodes"

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:44 pm

I'm glad to hear Cali is doing so well, but I'm sorry to hear about Jim's seizures. I don't have to tell you that every dog is different. You're living it.
There are times when we can tell that Jake is headed for a seizure and what we do sometimes helps, and other times it doesn't help at all. We use ocular compression, and pressure point acupuncture (the ridge between his ears on his head and the ridge in between his tailbone). We give 250 mgs of Keppra and if that doesn't seem to help we give him a dose of Pb or Vallium. We also have a homeopathic tincture called Calm and Rock Rose that we give asap. I can post the ingredients for you if you'd like. There is only one online source now that I know of for the ingredients and you have to mix it together. It only takes a few minutes. Jake responds to it really well most of the time.
I know you feel helpless when you know these horrible things are coming on and you don't know what to do. As I've said many many times... I hate the disease with every fiber of my being.
I hope this helps.
Take Care,
Lynne