Here we go again :o(

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

ShilohsMom

Here we go again :o(

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:29 pm

We got through October without a seizure which was great considering he had 16 in September, but November looks like a September repeat with him having 9 seizures since Friday evening. Vet has added back the PB and has me giving him 2x the dose for three days then dropping it down to his regular dose. Right now he's had 57 seizures this year which is his total for last year. Feeling like his episodes are getting worse and vets are at a loss at what else to do for him. Stayed home from work today to keep an eye on him & probably will tomorrow as well. Had to go to WalMart to get the PB and started crying felt like such a wuss. So stressed, worried, tired and feel helpless. Maybe between the PB & Valium in him hopefully he'll be able to settle down tonight and he'll be seizure free.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

SpencerBhumi

Re: Here we go again :o(

Post by SpencerBhumi » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi Colleen,

I'm sorry to hear this.

I am thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

Trevor.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi Colleen,
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm sorry if I've asked this before, but have you tried Clorazepate yet? Jake has hit a rough patch lately too (season change? I don't know). He's doing better now, but we've upped his Keppra a little, and after a seizure, instead of waiting until he can take the Clorazepate tablet we crush it into 3ml of water and give it to him orally in a plastic syringe to get it into his system faster. This has helped stave off clusters. I know you have a problem getting rectal Vallium but can you try the Vallium tablet protocol?
Also we give an extra 250 mgs of Keppra after a seizure for 5 days.
By the way, you're far from being a wuss. You cry when you need to. You're doing everything you can. Please try not to forget that.
Keep us posted and hang in there.
We're thinking of you and keeping our fingers and paws crossed for you.
Hugs all around,
Lynne

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Thank you Trevor, always appreciate the prayers.

Lynne,
I think I mentioned the Clorazepate to the vet but can't remember why he didn't want to add it. Not sure if it has any affect on the liver which we have to watch really careful. I've been crushing the Valium & adding water and giving it to him anally during his seizures. I think he had a partial seizure about 30 minutes ago, he started opening/closing his mouth making smacking noises, then got up and seemed scared of everything for several minutes. It was weird and hadn't really seen him do that before, maybe the PB kept him from having a GM.

The only thing the vet has told me to do regarding any protocol is the Valium, which I was doing orally but it wasn't working so he told me to start giving rectal during a seizure. I love my vet and appreciate that he consults with others but sometimes I wonder. This is just such a demon of a disease and meds work so differently for each dog, it's frustrating!

Do you just add the extra 250 mg of Keppra 1 x a day? I don't think Shilohs Keppra has done much for him but if the extra might help I can give it a try next time.

I'll be OK, sometimes doing all this in my own just gets to me. It's good to have people here who truly understand the battle. I know when I tell my friends what this is like they don't get it.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:16 pm

Hi Colleen,
Clorazepate filters through the liver like Vallium so maybe that was your vet's concern. You know, I'm a firm believer in second opinions. I love our vet too, she also checks in with everyone she knows of, but there was a time a few years back when I brought in another vet that she knew about. It didn't change the way she worked with us at all.
Have you tried ocular compression on Shiloh? It works for Jake sometimes.
We give Jake 250 mgs of Keppra (not XR) at 9am (for the first day) and 9 pm for five days following a seizure. If I remember right Shiloh weighs about the same as Jake so that would probably be the same. We also had a problem with Jake not responding all that well to Keppra until we started giving it 4x a day with the same total mgs per day. It's a pain, but it helps him because he metabolizes Keppra too quickly and this way it helps with that. Have you done a peak and trough with Shiloh's Keppra levels? That's how we found Jake was metabolizing it too quickly and when we switched to 4x a day we got past the honeymoon period.
If Shiloh is acting seizureish tonight I would give her an extra tablet of Pb. I know you're concerned with her liver so I would only do that once to get her calmed down.
I hope this helps. I'll be up until midnight EST if you need to post.
Take Care,
Lynne

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:19 pm

By the way, our vet does phone consults also if that would help you. She's worked a lot with NC State. We've learned a lot together.

Lynne

Eley's Mom

Post by Eley's Mom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Colleen, so sorry you guys are in another rough patch.
I don't have much to offer tonight other than my prayers. You are strong and have been one of the people that amaze me the most with this disease.

Eley is acting very off tonight as well... Maybe it IS the season change?
Just gave her an extra Pb and curled myself up in the recliner.
I'm so in edge that I even made myself physically ill.

Here's hoping that ALL of our pups have a seizure free night...
Diana & Eley
Boston Terrier (23 lbs)
DOB: 11/12/09
First Seizure 2/8/14
Last Seizure 10/9/16
Phenobarbital 48.6mg (morning), 56.7mg p.m. (night)
3 mL Potasium Bromide, once daily
Clorazepate as needed after seizures

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi Diana,
I hope Eley is calming down now.
Here's to all of us having a peaceful night.
Take a deep breath.
Lynne

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm assuming that the liver issue is why the vet didn't want to use Clorazepate. He said we dodged a bullet in getting Shilohs liver back to a normal range from the effects of the PB back in November (his liver values were 4 times too high). He also mentioned his concern with the Keppra and the effects it has on the liver in dogs because he said there weren't enough studies done over a period of time so we keep an eye on his levels.

It is possible Shilohs had the peak & trough but to be honest he's had so much bloodwork/tests done the past year he could of supplied a unit of vampires for a month! Dosing him 4x a day would be tricky because of work and other commitments. I can get 3x pretty good but 4 would be hard. Haven't tried ocular compression but will next time he has a seizure. We are lucky that his seizures are under 2 minutes, he just gets a lot of them sometimes.

I'll think about the second opinion. I know it would be good but with Shiloh being in the ER and all the stuff with Izzie I spent $2200 just in September plus Christmas around the corner....... Sigh....... Phone consult might be good, who's your vet?

I wish I could heal all his issues. His walking has gotten a bit worse but not sure if it's the damaged disc in his back or something neurological. I think the vet is concerned about it being neuro. Maybe all the seizures are chipping away at his gray matter.

He weighs about 70 pounds now which is where he should be. He'd lost 8 when his liver failed and was pretty bony and even though he was getting larger meals it took a long time for him to put it back on.

Gave him his evening dose of meds and he's finally settled down a bit which is good. Now he's just staring at me, panting with his tongue hanging out. Funny that If he were a guy that'd be creepy!

Hope Jake continues to do well and you have a restful night.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi Colleen,
I'm glad to hear Shiloh has calmed down. You're right about the panting thing. If it was a guy, you might want to be on guard!
Jake's vet is Audra Alley at Shiloh Animal Hospital in Morrisville, NC. One of the things I love about her is that she doesn't talk down to us, and always puts Jake first. She's holistic/conventional and is incredibly nice.
I can certainly understand the financial burden. It always seems that things get worse just when you're normally financially strapped.
As far as I know Keppra is filtered through the kidneys and not the liver, and seems to have little or no effect on it. I think that's why vets are trying it more these days.
Peak and trough is done over the course of several hours. It's been awhile since we had Jake's done and I don't remember the timing, but I do remember it taking most of the day for the test. Jake's so used to people drawing his blood that he just lays down with a "whatever" look on his face. He's tougher than I am!
It must be really hard trying to figure out whether there is a disc problem or not with meds and post seizure issues. The seizures are hard enough to try and work through.
I hope things start looking better tomorrow and you have a peaceful night.
So far Jake's sound asleep. Almost time for his last dose.
Take Care,
Lynne

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:39 am

Hey Colleen. I'm sorry to hear he was back at it, but glad he seems to have calmed down now. One is hard enough to watch, nine has to be just unbearable and you are not a wussy. Winston had one seizure and I had to pick up his meds and when the pharmacist asked how he was I just burst into tears. It's an emotional thing to deal with and you deserve a pat on the back for all you do. I also give Winston extra Keppra after he has a seizure, along with his Valium pills, usually for two to three days, depending on behavior. After the last one, we stretched it out almost a week because he was just weird. Then we gradually take it back to his normal dosing and eliminate the Valium, and wait and see how he does. So far so good, but we all know that can change with the wind. Wishing you and Shiloh the best. Keep us posted.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:12 pm

Thank you all. I know I can count on you all for exactly the right support and understanding.

It wasn't 5 minutes after posting last night that the pacing, drooling and whining started and went on all night. Around 3 this morning I put him on the bed (with the PB being added his ataxia is horrible and he can't walk real well), but all he would do is lay there, lean his head back to look at me and whine. Which to be honest was really preferable to when he decided to lay on his back and roll toward me and if your babies are anything like mine, you know which end is in your face! But at least he didn't fart, that could seriously leave damage!

The good news is that after what I think was a focal seizure he hasn't had any more episodes so I decided to go to work this afternoon. Maybe with me being gone he'll be able to settle down better. Considering I get some of Shilohs prescriptions at WalMart having them ask me how I am wasn't too great of a possibility so I could just pay for it and go after they got it ready. Sometimes you just gotta love the indifference of some people!

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:06 am

sorry...but love your seizures suck minion.
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day