Leaving dogs at home

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Eley's Mom

Leaving dogs at home

Post by Eley's Mom » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:40 am

I've been extremely fortunate that I can bring Eley to work everyday so far. In fact, there are a few dogs in my office.
Unfortunately, one of the dogs is starting to cause issues and people are starting to complain (even though they adore Eley).

There is chatter about possibly not allowing ANY dogs anymore (since it's not fair to tell one person to not bring one without it applying to all...) :(

What do you do during the day with yours? The thought of something happening during the day and me not being able to help her in time is scary.
Like many of you know, she's definitely a clusterer and once she starts seizing she doesn't stop without emergency intervention (whether it be the midazolam or...emergency vet).

I wish she could be a one and done dog, but she's not...she's like the Energizer bunny. Once she starts she keeps going...and going...and going...
Diana & Eley
Boston Terrier (23 lbs)
DOB: 11/12/09
First Seizure 2/8/14
Last Seizure 10/9/16
Phenobarbital 48.6mg (morning), 56.7mg p.m. (night)
3 mL Potasium Bromide, once daily
Clorazepate as needed after seizures

MK's mom

Re: Leaving dogs at home

Post by MK's mom » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:57 am

Those of us who have no choice other than to leave our dogs alone while at work pray they don't cluster while we're gone. It has only happened once to me and it was when my boy first started seizing. You can always hire someone to come in and check on the dog, but odds are all they'll be able to do is call you if something is wrong, do you have a boss that would let you leave if you needed to? Luckily, I think most dogs seize at night, so if your work hours are during the day hopefully your dog will be ok.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Eley's Mom

Post by Eley's Mom » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:07 pm

She usually only seizes at night, but there have been a few times where she has seized at work with me. Sometimes the seizures happen if she seizes the night before, but a couple of times have been without warning.

She likes to keep me on my toes.

I've thought about researching a doggie daycare or something similar that won't break the bank....or trying to think if I have any neighbors that are home during the day.

Whether I'm able to leave or not depends on the day....some days the office is crazy busy, others, slow. Plus, I work 45 minutes away.
Diana & Eley
Boston Terrier (23 lbs)
First Seizure 2/8/14
Last Seizure 10/9/16

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Call your vet and ask them if you can board her during work hours, then if she seizes hopefully someone will notice and medicate her so she doesn't cluster. I used the vet once when a pup I had was recovering from major surgery..at that time (10 years ago) they charged me $25 per day.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:39 pm

I'm fortunate that if I need to I can bring Shiloh to work although if he's had a bunch of seizures he's better off at home because he whines and will try to chew on EVERYTHING, power cords, papers, trash, etc and he doesn't settle down. Drives me nuts. Some days I'm able to work from home if I think it might be a bad day. I work close to home and because one of his meds is given at 1:00 p.m. I always go home and check on him to give him his meds.

If your office does put a no dog policy in place you might ask them for an exception because of Eley's seizures. I'd be a little scared of a doggie day care only because if she were playing with the other dogs and started to seize, you wouldn't know what the other dogs would do.

Hope you're able to find something that gives you peace of mind.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Eley's Mom

Post by Eley's Mom » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:43 pm

I hope they would make an exception... Nobody minds her and she had had 3 seizures at work. We're all pretty much in a big room with desks so everyone knows when it happens. They know there's an actual purpose...

I think we have decided that the best option (for now) is that we should buy a webcam-type camera so I can watch remotely from work. My boyfriend works about 5 minutes from home and has more flexibility than I do to leave during the day. Plus, I work 45+ minutes from home..

He's honestly never taken care of her during a seizure.. He's just been there to offer support while I take care of the icky stuff. He's certainly watched me plenty of times though.

In the meantime, definitely going to bring her to work until they tell me to stop!!
I appreciate all the ideas. :)
Diana & Eley
Boston Terrier (23 lbs)
First Seizure 2/8/14
Last Seizure 10/9/16

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:52 pm

It may take some googling on your part, but I read an awesome article about how to properly create dog policies in the workplace. There was a committee and rules in place. It was an actual companies policies that started because of a rouge dog that was causing problems.

They had a list of rules and consequences. It was a great article and included the companies policies and setting the committee to come up with new rules in scheduled meetings.
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

Eley's Mom

Post by Eley's Mom » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:49 am

We found a solution! Eley and the yellow lab stay by my desk courtesy of a baby gate. The dogs don't roam the office anymore and nobody complains about the other dog anymore!!

We did end up buying a webcam though. We have it focused on her cage. We have notifications sent to our phones when motion is detected. This is a good and bad thing. He used to get woken up by her snoring... Now I'm getting woken up when she decides to get comfy or if a cat walks in front of the crate. Oh well. Each night we're playing with the sensitivity to determine the right setting. On the plus side, this will hopefully give us the chance to enjoy what we have left of our 20's!! Instead of being out with friends and end up leaving because I'm worried, I can simply remote in and see that all is well.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions as always!
Diana & Eley
Boston Terrier (23 lbs)
First Seizure 2/8/14
Last Seizure 10/9/16