new to CEN and puppy daycare

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

jenxhart

new to CEN and puppy daycare

Post by jenxhart » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:06 am

Hello! I'm new to the site. My Pembroke Corgi, Baxter, began having seizures this April, 2015, when he was just under 1.5 years old. It began one Friday night, then another 5 days later and then another 8 days later. So far he hasn't gone more than 12 days without a seizure, sometimes a single, but the last one was the worst at 6 in one day, with them getting increasingly closer together. We took him to the emergency room and they loaded a dose of phenobarb, gave him valium and kept him overnight for observation. Turns out he was on a low dose of pheno (he had started at 16.2 mg 2x/day in April then increased to 32.4 and then 40.5, which the emergency vet said was a typical starting dose). That was Monday, July 6. Now he's on 64.8 mg 2x/day and has been a bit loopy but no seizures that we know of.

I used to hope for 6 months without a seizure when all this started. Now I'd be happy to get through two full weeks and then 3 weeks then a month. It's been exhausting and stressful (and I hate to say it…but expensive, too, with all the trips to the emergency room and vet visits and bloodwork...).

Now on to my question. I don't have kids, so I really see this little guy as my furbaby and I would love for him to have a happy life. My husband and I don't like the idea of leaving Baxter at home for 8 hours a day. Sometimes he can take him to his painting studio and sometimes he can come with me to work but not always and he really loves puppy daycare so we like sending him a couple times a week so he can get play time. But, is this a bad idea? The daycare is attached to a vet so if anything goes wrong he can be attended to, but is it too much excitement? Baxter has had seizures at puppy daycare but he's also had them at home, in the morning, at night, in the middle of the day, in the car, in John's studio. At the moment, we can't find any particular trigger. However, is it best to just leave him at home and cut out puppy daycare, something he clearly loves? (He's been going since he was 5 months old) And, if he's home and has a seizure, there's no one there to attend to him.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Baxter - Born 1/24/14
First seizure 4/17/15
Last seizure 7/6/15

ShilohsMom

Re: new to CEN and puppy daycare

Post by ShilohsMom » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:20 am

Welcome to the boards but really sorry that you're going through this.

This is an extremely frustrating disease, it's unpredictable for many, it's expensive and it's heart breaking to watch our hairy babies go through.

While I have a daughter, my hairy ones are just as equally loved as my non-hairy daughter so I get how much they mean. My personal 2 cents for what it's worth is to give Baxter the best life you can. I believe it was Lynne (forgive me if I'm wrong and also if I butcher the quote) that posted one time that you live with epilepsy not for it. Epilepsy will always be a part of it, but it's a small part. I have not been able to find a trigger for Shiloh and he can go a month without a seizure then have a cluster the next. My goal is that I give him the best dog life I can give him. I've done all I can to insure his safety, but feel like I'd be doing him a disservice by not letting him do the things he loves because I'm worried. I know that something could happen to him, but I know how badly I would feel if I kept him from actually enjoying the things he loves the most.

It takes time to figure out the right dosage of meds and hope that you're able to find it quickly. Don't get discouraged when something doesn't work or you hear a horror story. Every dog is different and responds differently.

Are you keeping a journal? The one I keep I write down the seizure info in red and any changes to meds, test, ER/vet visits in black ink, that way when I take the journal into the vet they can easily distinguish the seizure activity from notes.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

jenxhart

Post by jenxhart » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:48 am

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I've been meaning to keep a journal but haven't done it yet, though I'm glad I wrote down his first seizure episode. I've been keeping track in my head but that's not so reliable!

Glory

Post by Glory » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:19 am

Hi
I feel for you. I remember what it felt like when Glory started having seizures. It is heartbreaking. If it was my dog I would continue with puppy day care (after checking with your vet) Anything that makes your pup happy is worth doing. He won't be having seizures alone. Exercise and excitement have not been triggers for Glory--she is usually resting or asleep when her seizures occur which is often the case in idiopathic epilepsy. On the other hand when a dog experiences a seizure other dogs may attack him. If that does occur at daycare, or if the ratio of caregivers is low or your pup is with large dogs, I would think twice before sending him to daycare.
Martha
Glory---6-year-old Boxer (55 pounds)
First seizure 11/17/13
Last seizure 7/23/15
PB 97.2 mg BID
Keppra 1075 mg TID
300 Zonisamide BID
Soloxine 5mg BID
Valium as needed to control clusters

jenxhart

Post by jenxhart » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:51 am

Baxter tends to have seizures when he's in a more restful state and has had them at puppy daycare but only during his rest time when they put him in a crate.

I feel good about how they care for him there. They exercise the dogs in small groups depending on size and play style. And, they are very watchful. Baxter is a high energy boy when around other dogs but is fairly calm at home.

I was most concerned about whether the excitement was too much and was contributing to his seizures. It makes me wonder with his activity going up and down… in the crate, out and playing hard, back in the crate. But, experts have said they need rest time. And he has only had seizures there a couple of times.

Degutis

Post by Degutis » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:31 am

I work at Doggie Day Camp. It's a dog day care centre. We also cooperate with P.E.T.S. Boarding Kennel & Training Centre custom writing company to publish our research papers online for scientific and academic needs.