Any advice?

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

BrittneyAllen

Any advice?

Post by BrittneyAllen » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:59 pm

My baby girl Lola is 1 year and 5 months, had her first seizure at 11 months, she's the sweetest dog in the world she's an American bully, the Pitbull type but shorter and wider, she only has seizures when she's a sleep and always has them in 2's. On feb 3rd she started having seizures at 3 am and had a total of 7 back to back no breaks until 4:15am then was very disoriented until about 5:30am. She's currently on pb but still has seizures, she hasn't gone a full month without a seizure. I feel alone and scared through all of this, I don't know how to help her. She's fixing to start Keppra and begin weaning off of pb. I don't understand why she only has seizures in her sleep, neither does her vet. I grew up with epilepsy and know you have to experiment until you find what works. I'm just scared for her. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Any advice?

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:59 am

Hi Brittany,
I'm sorry to hear that you and Lola have had such a difficult week. First, I want you to know the you're not alone. There are many here who will give you support whenever you need it, so take a deep breath because we're all in this together and here for you.
From what I've been told dogs do primarily seize while they are asleep, although it can happen at any time. Is there a reason your vet is going to ween Lola from Pb? Keppra is usually an add on drug, although not always, so unless her liver values are high or there is some other complication with it I would ask why they want to take her off from it. Also, do you have rectal valium available to you? That can help with clusters.
I'm sorry to hear that you grew up with epilepsy in your life. That makes it even more terrifying when your dog starts seizing. Even though I'm sure you recognized what was happening it must be so hard. My husband's little sister was born with many birth defects and had seizures, and from the time he was 9 could hear her in the middle of the night. When Jake started seizing he went through the motions, but I could tell something was terribly wrong. When he finally told me about his sister I could see the horror he was feeling. But he is as hands on as I am and has come up with many "in the moment" things to help during seizures that I would never think of. It's almost as though now he has a chance to help Jake when he felt so helpless to do anything for his sister. Your personal knowledge could help Lola very much.
I would be as proactive as you can be because as you know finding the right combination of drugs can be so tricky. What works for some dogs may not work at all for yours and vise versa. If your vet doesn't seem to know enough, or you feel in your gut that it's not a good match, try to find another vet. Having a knowledgeable vet is just as important as finding the right combination of drugs. We're in our 10th year with this and it can be so scary, especially in the beginning, so you need someone to turn to at any time. We have all grown so much through this to the point where I really don't recognize the person I was before, and Jake has gone from being pretty wimpy to a stubborn, old, refractory epileptic dog that just refuses to give up.
There is so much greta information here. Vets and Neurologists definitely know more about what avenues to take, but the owners are in the trenches so we know about the day to day things. Come back when you need to.
This is a wonderful group and we're here anytime.
Take Care,
Lynne

BrittneyAllen

Post by BrittneyAllen » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:31 am

Thank you so much for your reply, I feel better already. They did just perscribe her rectal Valium it's just not ready for pick up yet, they had to call it in to a compounding pharmacy because the pharmacies don't carry 50 mg and that's what they prescribed her. My vet wanted to ween her off the pb because she says Keppra is a better drug, I'm not sure really. I am currently looking for another vet because this vet had talked about putting Lola down, I got very offended and very upset, she doesn't have seizures everyday and she's only been on one drug and then her vet is "giving up". I'm having a hard time finding a vet that can treat her, I'm having to drive to Oklahoma to go meet with a vet that says he specializes in canine epilepsy, keep in mind I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area. I appreciate your kind words as well, Lola is a gift and I just wish I could help her.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:48 pm

I think you're right to look for another vet. I would have been very upset too. There are many here that have had dogs that have multiple seizures within a few hours and they do eventually find the right combination. Not all, but that's no reason for your vet to mention putting Lola down. Especially since you've only tried Pb so far. Personally I'd keep Lola on Pb and add Keppra unless there is a reason not to. We had Jake on Pb only and it didn't do anything until we added Keppra. Some have had positive results with Keppra and others have what is called a Honeymoon period with it. Meaning it woks for awhile and then it doesn't. Jake had that happen, but a lot of dogs do well. This can be a long road to find the right combination and there are other drugs to try. There are also a few other things to do after a seizure to ward off clusters such as an extra dose of Pb (since she is already on it), and adding Clorazepate.
Just by doing what you are doing you're helping her.
I don't know if you found this but here is a website that could be of help.
http://www.ahvma.org/find-a-holistic-veterinarian/
There are vets that practice both conventional and holistic medicine listed
Keep us posted and I hope this helps
Take Care,
Lynne

BrittneyAllen

Post by BrittneyAllen » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:20 pm

I'll defiantly keep you posted, she starts her Keppra Friday so I'll let you know how it goes. I also have Lola's brother, they're from the same litter and he's healthy as a horse. They come from a great pedigree and are purple ribbon registered, no litter mates or anyone in the "family tree" has epilepsy.

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:24 am

Welcome Brittney but sorry for the reason you're here. I can't believe that the vet recommended putting Lola down for seizures! Shiloh's had seizures for 5 1/2 years now and when he first started having them they were always during sleep/rest. A couple of years ago he started having them while he was awake. It usually freaks me out for a while when our "normal" changes. Unfortunately finding your normal can take a while and then it could change. Which doesn't always mean for the bad. It's a process trying to figure out the right combo of meds. Keppra (both ER and regular) wasn't helpful for Shiloh but has been successful for others. Like Lynne, I'm curious as to why your vet wants to remove the PB.

Where and who are you seeing in Oklahoma? I live in Norman and have been to OSU several times with Shiloh for both seizures and his back/neck issues.

If Lola stays on Pheno you might consider adding Milk Thistle to protect the liver. Also after a seizure giving a small amount of natural vanilla ice cream or honey can help get their blood sugar back. Ice packs on the back can help shorten the duration of the seizure, Shiloh's don't last long so don't have experience with this, but have read where people have. Are you keeping a journal? I enter the seizures in red and other info like med changes, blood work results, vet visits etc in black. Makes it easier for the vet to distinguish seizures for other stuff.

I wish you all the best and hope that the visit to Oklahoma goes well.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

BrittneyAllen

Post by BrittneyAllen » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:56 am

I do have a journal seizures in red med changes in black! We are going to doctor mills in durant, he says he can help. I'm not sure why the vet wants her off of pb, I guess she doesn't think it's working...she doesn't communicate with me much. I'm kind of treated like a panic prone mother. Lola's seizures are only in her sleep and are very intense, she had one a while back that when she started seizing she kicked me in the back and I fell off the bed. It's very hard to watch, my vet has asked for a video but when she's seizing the last thing on my mind is recording her.

Terrifinch

Post by Terrifinch » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:32 pm

Can anyone tell me how I know if my dog is having cluster or one seizure?? My dog has had what I thought was one seizure that lasted 3 to 4 hours. I am so confused as I am brand new to this. My dog has been put on PB twice daily, and I have 30 mg suppository so only for the onset. Then I am terrified that I won't be home when he has a seizure!! So terrified...
Thank you, please help, Terri