New, so anxious! DOG HAS HAD TWO 3-4 hr seizures!!!!

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Terrifinch

New, so anxious! DOG HAS HAD TWO 3-4 hr seizures!!!!

Post by Terrifinch » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:54 pm

About 3 months ago, for the first time, my boy (dachshund/beagle mix, 2 yo) began a seizure. I knew exactly what it was as I had a beagle who had seizures for years. I expected it to only last under 15 minutes in all as that was what always happened with my first dog. After 15 20 minutes, I brought him to vet where the shot him with PB andvalium. He continued the seizure for a total of 4 hrs! He wasn't paddling but his neck was stretching up, stiffened up, drooled, glassed over eyes. Eventually, he came out of it. The vet had done all blood work ruling out poison, liver stuff etc. He said lets see if it ever happens again. Dog was normal as soon as it stopped.
Three months later, the same thing began. After 15 mins, I brought him to a new vet that I heard wonderful things about. They got the previous records and followed the same plan of PB and Valium. Again, it lasted hours. She , the vet started him on PB and gave me 30mg of diazepam suppository for onset of seizure. I am terrified as I have read and heard that these kind of seizures are emergency and the dog can die or have permanent brain damage! I am filled with anxiety as I am afraid to leave him alone!!!i must work and have had a planned trip that I cannot change planned for the first of March. I have someone staying here but they too leave during the day for 4 or 5 hrs at a time! HELP ME PLEASE😢

LizzyB

Re: New, so anxious! DOG HAS HAD TWO 3-4 hr seizures!!!!

Post by LizzyB » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:51 pm

We have a Aussie that is 4. I would recommend boarding him with a 24hr Vet. We have been dealing with seizures since Murphy was 1 he has been on Pb then added Kepra and Potassium Bromide off Pb as they did not think it was working. We now deal with seizures every four days. I am lucky to work from home and my husband is retired. We do not travel unless he can come and then if we go w/o we do board him at 24hr or leave him with mom. I know it can be hard to get away.