New, so anxious! DOG HAS HAD TWO 3-4 hr seizures!!!!

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Terrifinch

New, so anxious! DOG HAS HAD TWO 3-4 hr seizures!!!!

Post by Terrifinch » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:55 pm

About 3 months ago, for the first time, my boy (dachshund/beagle mix, 2 yo) began a seizure. I knew exactly what it was as I had a beagle who had seizures for years. I expected it to only last under 15 minutes in all as that was what always happened with my first dog. After 15 20 minutes, I brought him to vet where the shot him with PB andvalium. He continued the seizure for a total of 4 hrs! He wasn't paddling but his neck was stretching up, stiffened up, drooled, glassed over eyes. Eventually, he came out of it. The vet had done all blood work ruling out poison, liver stuff etc. He said lets see if it ever happens again. Dog was normal as soon as it stopped.q
Three months later, the same thing began. After 15 mins, I brought him to a new vet that I heard wonderful things about. They got the previous records and followed the same plan of PB and Valium. Again, it lasted hours. She , the vet started him on PB and gave me 30mg of diazepam suppository for onset of seizure. I am terrified as I have read and heard that these kind of seizures are emergency and the dog can die or have permanent brain damage! I am filled with anxiety as I am afraid to leave him alone!!!i must work and have had a planned trip that I cannot change planned for the first of March. I have someone staying here but they too leave during the day for 4 or 5 hrs at a time! HELP ME PLEASE😢

BrittneyAllen

Re: New, so anxious! DOG HAS HAD TWO 3-4 hr seizures!!!!

Post by BrittneyAllen » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:41 pm

A cluster seizure is multiple seizures in a 24 hour period. I'm so sorry you're goin through this, I know it's hard but just relax. My Lola has had seizures when I wasn't home, I know this because I put a security camera up on her kennel so I can watch her when I'm not there. A seizure that lasted 3-4 hours I haven't heard of before did you contact your vet?

jaffles

Post by jaffles » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:29 am

Hi, just relating to a question you asked on another post...

Cluster Seizures generally occur when a dog has more that one seizure in a 24 hour period or when seizures are so close together that a dog doesn't have enough time from the end of a seizure to the start of the next seizure to recover fully.

Status Epilepticus however, is generally a prolonged seizure, a seizure which last more than 10-15 minutes. from what you've said about your dog, it sounds more like status. And both are considered to be emergency due to the long term damage they can do if left untreated

I am not vet however, so my advice is talk to your vet. While so many people on this site are fantastic and knowledgeable, your vet is always the best for information :)

Here's a link to a site that helped me when my little one got diagnosed with epilepsy
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... te_map.htm

Also on this site, at the left click some of the links "Canine Epilepsy Basics' has some fantastic information in it that helped me a lot.
Name: Jaffa
DOB: 26 Dec 2009
Breed: Maltese Shih Tzu
First Seizure: 18 Apr 2014
Last Seizure: 31 Jan 2016

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:29 am

Hi Terri,
What a horrible time for you and your pup. I'm so sorry this has happened to you.
Are there any breaks at all between seizures? If not, this is not a cluster but status. And that is an emergency situation. There have been several dogs with terrifying starts here that have found a way to break the cycle so don't give up hope. Did either vet speak to you about an extra dose of Pb after the seizure if there is a break? There are also intravenous methods available to help stop the continuous seizures. If it were me I would contact a canine neurologist right away. Our vet works very closely with a neurologist and has gotten input over the years that has helped us very much.
I know this is so incredibly hard to do but (sometimes easier said than done) try to take deep breaths and calm down because your dog can sense the panic. I know it's very hard, but just as they can sense when you're happy, they sense when you're terrified. Anyone would be, and has been in this situation, so as much as possible walk away and cry, scream, or hit something soft like a pillow if you have to (I don't recommend "someone" but if epilepsy was a person I along with everyone here would have taken it down already) but don't loose it in front of your pup. And don't loose faith.
We're here when you need us,
Lynne