Cannabis oil

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

BrittneyAllen

Cannabis oil

Post by BrittneyAllen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:02 pm

I know this is extreme but has anyone had luck with this? Most of you have followed Lola and our painful journey. I'm at the end of my rope. She's not even 2 yet, is there a chance she could grow out of it

OneThumbWilly

Re: Cannabis oil

Post by OneThumbWilly » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:59 am

I've used canna oil. Belle had bad cluster seizures, starting when she was 8 months old. She rarely went more than a couple weeks without an episode. She was on bromide, pb, keppra, clorazepate, and diazepam. Her clusters ranged from 1 to over a hundred grand mal seizures; she was hospitalized many times.

It was near the end of year two that I researched and decided to try canna oil. I had a good source for the herb, and I chose canola oil as the extraction medium (low saturated fat). There was no "dosage" for canines, so I tested it myself, reduced the dosage based on our weight difference, and further reduced by 1/3 as a starting point. I introduced the canna oil into her breakfast and dinner, exactly 12 hours apart, and slowly increased the dose over the next few months, paying close attention to her behavior (this is something we've all become experts at). At a certain point, she stopped having seizures at night. Her "prime time" was 1-3am, so I felt like we had a major breakthrough. But, like every time Belle started a new medication, her honeymoon period was short lived, and no amount of adjustment would bring her back to that point. I eventually took her off of it, as we continued to cycle through other meds.

I will not condone the unsupervised administering of medication, and will ignore any questions related to dosing or manufacture, but I certainly empathize, and felt compelled to share my experience.

carla_mia

Post by carla_mia » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:41 am

Days 1 and 2 that our dog first developed drop head seizures we experimented with CBD/THC oil formulated 30:1 (while we waited through the holiday weekend for neurology appointment). Started with a low dose 0.1mg/kg per recommendations we researched online. Wished it worked but it only made him lethargic. Keppra does the trick for him. This is an area that definitely needs more research.

shepherdcbd

Post by shepherdcbd » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:15 pm

BrittneyAllen wrote:I know this is extreme but has anyone had luck with this? Most of you have followed Lola and our painful journey. I'm at the end of my rope. She's not even 2 yet, is there a chance she could grow out of it
Hi Brittney. I'm no expert on Cannabis oil, but Dr Rob Silver wrote a book about Cannabis Oil, CBD for pets. He may be a good person to learn from. I'd appreciate anyone elses opinion?

I've heard of people also using CBD transdermal patches on their pets as well, but they have to shave the fur off of the application area.