Allergy information

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

CooperDuke

Allergy information

Post by CooperDuke » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:13 am

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the site, Cooper is a 6 year old Golden Retriever, he was surrendered by his original owners at about 2 and I fostered him prior to adopting him 4 years ago. Over the years his seizures have worsened from 1 every 6-8 weeks to about 2/week. We are constantly adjusting his meds to keep the seizures to a minimum. His current meds:

97.2 mg phenobarb 1.5 pills 2x day
Zonisamide 300 mg 3 pills 2x/day
Levetiracetam 750 mg 2 pills 2x/day
thyroxin - not sure of dosage

After each seizure he receives 60 mg diazapam, 97.2 mg phenobarb and 750 mg Levetiracetam to prevent clustering. Whew, it's a lot of pills for my little man!

Lately he has also developed severe allergies to the point that he is almost self mutilating by pulling his fur out. We have tried prednisone - no change and Apoquel with minor results. He wears a soft cone almost 24/7. He has been grain free for over a year. Currently on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Duck and Potato. The only treats he receives are green beans, apples and home made sweet potato treats. He also gets Grizzly salmon oil on his food in the evening.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what else I can do to relieve the itching for my poor boy?

thanks!

Karen

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Allergy information

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:28 pm

Jake has a chronic problem with itching. It's more seasonal than anything. We think it's a mold allergy associated with dead leaves. We give him T-Relief drops on his food because steroids make his seizures worse, and topically we use Florasone cream. (You can find both on Iherb.com) We've changed his food and during Fall/Winter we wipe his feet when he comes inside. Usually as soon as the dead leaves are gone and the weather warms up he stops. We've tried putting booties on him and it helps a little. We'd clean up all the leaves but we live in the woods.
I hope this helps.

Lynne

Lovelight

Re: Allergy information

Post by Lovelight » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:21 pm

My Buttercup has some itchiness from time to time, skin mostly, and I've been using virgin, cold pressed, non-refined coconut oil (solid kind that can be used internally and cosmetically, don't use the kind that is just for cooking) on her fur and skin. She doesn't scratch hardly anymore and her hot spots are gone, skin and fur is amazingly soft. The kind I have is Vita Coco Coconut Oil. When she had fleas, which she doesn't now, she would get raised bumps from bites and would lick and scratch constantly. When she has grains, she does itch more, so I too have cut out grains from her diet. Coconut oil is good for their skin and fur, it's natural and non-toxic. I've only started using coconut oil for about a month or so. I'm going to keep using it, it's done wonders for her fur, cleared her hot spots in a matter of days, and skin.

Also, you may want to look at Dr. Harvey's Veg to bowl (no grains, if your dog is sensitive to grains), my dog had food sensitivities, pickiness, and I do believe the site says it can help dogs with itchy skin conditions and allergies. Buttercup has been on this food for four years and it's amazing. After she eats, within 5 minutes, her fur gets soft. All you do is add a sensible oil (ex. salmon, olive, sesame, flaxseed, borage), and a protein. My dog is small to medium (18 lbs and change), so this is not expensive for us. She eats less than the recommended guidelines which I do adjust at any time. She's maintained a good weight on this food, even when she is on prednisone. My dog is on pheno and zonisamide, and clorazapate and rectal valium for emergencies and she has no issues with this food and her medicines.

https://www.drharveys.com/products/dogs ... ood-premix

IDK if you would want to try it, just thought I'd let you know the stuff we use when my dog has skin issues. :)