Here We Go Again!

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

jaragr

Here We Go Again!

Post by jaragr » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Our Jack, who is a german shepherd mix, started out having grand-mal seizures every 2 and half weeks. Then when he reached 3 weeks were thrilled. This last time he went 9 months without a seizure and we happily thought that was behind us. We completely stopped aspirin, I stopped spraying FeBreeze and I put Rescue Remedy (for pets, no alcohol) in his water at all times. Well this morning at 3:09 here he goes again, with the paddling, and tons of drool and pee. We hold an ice pack on his back and the paddling stopped, but then those teeth were bared once again and the paddling started again. Does that sound like 2 seizures? From the time it started to the time he was on his feet it was about 7 minutes. We've gone 9 glorious months without this and wonder if this is the start of clusters?

CooperDuke

Re: Here We Go Again!

Post by CooperDuke » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi.

Cooper (6 year old Golden Retriever) has a history of cluster seizures for about 5 years, I consider it a good day when it is only one seizure. His symptoms are similar to Jack's. Paddles, pees, head back, drool, teeth bared etc. Generally, for Cooper anyway, he comes out of the 1st seizure long enough for me to give him meds to prevent another seizure. There have been instances when he has gone directly into a second seizure with very little to no postictal phase. The last time he clustered like that I rushed him to the ER, he spent 3 days in the hospital and was given his meds intravenously to stop the seizures.

Maybe talk to the vet or take him in and share your observations and see what they have to say. Each dog is so different. Just my experience for what it's worth.

Karen

jenxhart

Post by jenxhart » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:32 am

I consider a cluster any seizure activity that happens within just a brief time period. Sometimes Baxter will come out of a seizure and stand up and stumble around the room for a few minutes then fall over and have another, and possibly another. If he seizes, seems to go into a post-ictal phase and then seems to be alert enough that he looks at me and seems to recognize me I say that's the end of that seizure even if he falls immediately into another. If the whole thing takes 7 minutes I would guess your pup had more than one.

The most seizure activity for Baxter was a continuous seizure (with moments of alertness) that lasted over an hour and a half. He was then drained of energy for almost a week. He couldn't lift his head or even really recognize us. We'd carry him to the yard and hold him to stand so he could pee. I thought it was the end of him. But, he recovered fully (thankfully!) and has appeared to have no lasting side effects from that incident.

jaragr

Post by jaragr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:57 pm

Wow I could not imagine an hour and a half. We don't have him on any medication - he's almost 13 and we're scared of the side effects. Actually my husband refuses to put him on meds. The actually paddling doesn't last that long, but he'll just lay there for several minutes, then he'll jump up, and then starts the anxiety and confusion and stumbling. I'm almost scared to adopt another dog later for fear of having to deal with this again.

jenxhart

Post by jenxhart » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:26 pm

I'm with you. This is my first dog as an adult and I don't think I could go through this again. The emotional toll, the time, the energy, the fear, the constant wondering when the next one will happen. And there's the financial toll. I don't think I could afford to go through this a second time.