Flash

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

flashmom

Flash

Post by flashmom » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:28 am

I am new to canine epilepsy. Flash's seizures started in July 2016 we figured out. One night Lightening (BC) started barking very aggressively. I went downstairs and saw flash had a bloody lip. I thought Lightening bit him somehow under the fence panel wall that they share (they each have their own little room ). So in October the same thing happened. I kept them separated that day. The next day we saw Flash have a grand mal seizure. We figured out Lightening's reason for barking and it wasn't his fault for hurting Flash.

We had Flash tested the next day. The test came back normal. We had him further tested again to be sure it wasn't a thyroid issue. as Flash is a little chunky and sluggish. So since he only has them every few months we decided to wait to medicate him. The vet gave us some valium to inject if he has another seizure. In January he had one and then another the next day. In March he had six small ones in 48 hours. So we decided to put him on medicine. He is Potassium Bromide 500mg now. He just started so hopefully we can keep him on the low dose.

One thing we noticed about Flash's behavior after the seizure is that after he recovers for a day is that he is full of energy and runs around the yard like he is a puppy again. It is like his "battery" is recharged by the seizures. This lasts for a month or so. Is that normal? We like it, but we wonder if his seizures could be caused by something else that the tests did not show.

Flash is a 6 year old English Setter

flashmom

Re: Flash

Post by flashmom » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 am

Does anyone else's dog have a "medicine" odor to him? Since Flash's has been having seizures for the past 10 months and now that he is on Potassium Bromicide, Flash has this odor to him. (He also does need a spring time bath now that the weather is getting warmer :) )

I will ask the vet when he goes for his blood test this week.

I was just curious if others have noticed the same in their dogs.

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi there and welcome to the boards. I'm sorry that you all are going through this. One of the things about a dog with seizures is there pretty much isn't a "normal". Each dog is different and responds differently so it'll be more of trying to figure out what is normal for Flash. I would notice an odor to Shiloh after he had a seizure, not so much from the meds. Are you keeping a journal to document his seizures/behavior, medication(s), changes to meds, blood work, etc? If not, that can be really handy to have.

Just out of curiousity are you a weather nerd? :D Just wondering with your dogs names being Flash and Lightening, it's cute.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

flashmom

Post by flashmom » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Shiloh'sMom...

Yes..I have kept a journal about Flash's episodes since he started having seizures. He has been seizure free since stating his medicine a few months ago. He is also pretty much back to "normal" now.. He seems a bit happier too.

We used to have dogs named after cars (Trooper, Ranger, Scout). When we got Lightening, he had a white spot that looked like a "L" .. He is a border collie so he is fast as Lightening. (He hates storms though). So we stayed with the "weather theme" with Flash (he was supposed to be fast). I have an Irish setter named Tornado too. ( He is a little whirlwind though). :)

flashmom

Post by flashmom » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:02 pm

We received Flash's blood results back from taking Potassium Bromicide for two months now. On a scale of 1 to 3, his level was 1.3. Which is good. Since he has been seizure free since the beginning of March, the medicine seems to be working. We will see in a few weeks as he seems to have the seizures every couple months.

marshalldee3

Post by marshalldee3 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:14 am

That's great news to hear that the initial test result came back positive. Good luck in the future

3 great sites to watch hd sex videos
Last edited by marshalldee3 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:12 am

That's wonderful!!!!
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16