11 Month old Male French Bulldog

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Kirkyer

11 Month old Male French Bulldog

Post by Kirkyer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi my name is Carol and I am new to this site unfortunately. I have a 11 month old Male French Bulldog that started having seizures a month ago when he was sleeping or just waking up lasting only a minute or so and has had one a week for the first three weeks then the last one occurred 5 days after his last one and only a few hours after visiting the neurologist for the first time. The neurologist performed a fasting blood test and then fed him and checked his liver function and It was slightly elevated 35 and she didn't think it was high enough to cause seizures, my regular vet did a full blood work up the week before with no conclusive results. The neurologist put him on keppra 250 mg 3x a day he just started it yesterday and does not seem to be having any noticeable side effects as of yet. The neurologist would like to do an MRI she said because of his age and non conclusive blood test results, I am leaning towards trying the meds first since an MRI is 2500-3500. Does anyone have any input suggestions I am so frightened for this little guy I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Carol

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: 11 Month old Male French Bulldog

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi Carol,
When your neurologist said the blood work was non conclusive what did she mean? Jake's blood work was normal and many others here have the same results. Is it possible she wants to do the MRI because of his age? I wish I could give you more information on this, but we never had an MRI done. Mainly because we couldn't afford it. If circumstances had been different, we probably would have.
This is so hard especially in the beginning when you're just starting to learn about what this is at the same time that you think you're having a nightmare and just want to wake up.
Maybe you should talk to your vet again and find out more specific reasons for what they want you to do.
I'm sure whatever you decide it will be the best thing.

Lynne

Kirkyer

Post by Kirkyer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:57 am

I believe my regular vet did a blood chemistry profile which came out normal, then the neurologist did a bile acid test which came up slightly elevated at a 35 which she said was not high enough to cause seizures that it would need to be in the 80's. Does anyone know of another test that I should suggest be performed before I go to the expense of a MRI.

Thanks, Carol

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:07 pm

It's really hard to make the call on what to do as far as testing. Shiloh had two MRI's because his walking became a problem. I'm not sure I would of done them otherwise, and it showed no neurological issue. There are so many things that can cause seizures you could spend a fortune trying to figure it out and still not have an answer. I tried to figure out if it was environment, smells, lighting, food, did spinal tap for infection, tested for tick disease, full moons, etc. The only thing that came from all of that was maxing out my credit cards. That's not to say you would have the same experience. Every dog is different and just because I never found an answer doesn't mean you wouldn't. While looking back it's easy to say I wouldn't do it in hindsight is easy, but when you're living it, it's another story. I think one of the most important things for me at this point of my life when making any tough decision is making the best one at the moment with the information I have at the time. That will always be the right decision.

I'm sorry you're going through this.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Kirkyer

Post by Kirkyer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:40 pm

So I ended up getting Winston an MRI and having his Spinal Fluid checked since his seizures started again after being on KEPPRA 250mg 3x a day for 6 weeks. He then started having them once a week again. So the good new is the MRI did not find any fluid in his brain, no tumors and basically diagnosted him with idiopathic epilepsy and increased his KEPPRA dosage to 375mg 3x a day. His seizures are not coming 10-12 days apart vs. 5-7 days apart. My vet would like to get his seizures to no more frequent than every 2 months. Does anyone have any experience with other medications that have worked successfully and or ones that they would recommend I try to stay away from based on side affects.

Thanks, Carol