epileptic dog/ anesthesia concern for dental cleaning

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

SnowysMom

epileptic dog/ anesthesia concern for dental cleaning

Post by SnowysMom » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:40 am

My 85 lb dog, 3yrs old, dxed with idiopathic epilepsy taking Keppra 1500 mg 3X day and Pheno 96 mg 2X/day. Definitely needs her teeth cleaned for plaque build up per vet. I am very concerned with anesthesia used. Which are the safest anesthetics to use for dental cleaning for a dog dx'ed with epilepsy. Vet is unfamiliar with this issue. I would appreciate your advice and info asap.

Most Sincerely,

SnowysMom

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: epileptic dog/ anesthesia concern for dental cleaning

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:58 am

Jake has been under anesthesia four times and had no problem at all. If your vet isn't familiar with this I would find one that is for this procedure. They can evaluate your dog and determine what would work. If you can't find another vet call your local emergency hospital and have them recommend someone.
I know this is scary, but anytime a person or an animal goes under anesthesia there are risks. Your doctor will be able to determine what anesthesia is best.

Take Care,
Lynne

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:53 pm

Shiloh had to be under anesthesia more times than I could count for a variety of reasons and each time he did just fine. It's always scary especially when they suffer from seizures. Hopefully your vet would check to find out what is appropriate and if not, refer you to someone with experience.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

SnowysMom

Post by SnowysMom » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:03 am

Thank You, both, from SnowysMom. Living in New Hampshire I did do some research. I initially called Tufts/Cummings Med School, (Mass) and they just lost their dentist but they referred me to Angel Memorial Vet Hospital in Boston. They are one of the TOP vet hospitals! Having a dental consult in June and dental cleaning in December - anesthesiologists very familiar with doing MRI's in dx'ing epilepsy, dentistry, etc. They are also very, very reasonable - $130 for consult - $800 for dental cleaning! I feel so very relieved knowing my "Snowy" will be in the best of care.

Deacon's Mom

Post by Deacon's Mom » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:31 am

My dog is a patient at Angel Memorial. He's never had a cleaning but we have been there numerous times otherwise. They have a great neruology department and the vets there share information with eachother so I would have no problem having them do my dog's dental work if needed. My dog was neutered shortly after being diagnosed with epilepsy and I was nervous but he did great.