I feel so SCARED :( HELP!!!

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Alok Thapa

I feel so SCARED :( HELP!!!

Post by Alok Thapa » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:30 pm

My 9 year old Pug mix, Tumbu, had seizure at 11 am on Friday and after couple of seconds she got out of it.

Then at 12:35 pm she had major seizure. I knew something was wrong when she couldn't zap out of it for more than 30 mins. I called a friend who texted me his vet's number. I was about to call when my mom called the local vet. So we waited for him. The guy gave her an injection and told us to keep her calm, splash some water. He basically said that we have to wait it out, then he left.

At 2:30 pm I called my friend's VET who runs an emergency clinic. He said that we need to bring the dog asap. But by the time we took Tumbu it was 5 pm. During the seizures Tumbu would recognise us and wag her tail but couldn't lie down completely so we made makeshift pillow. she would rest.

The vet gave her drip and some sleeping agent. He was a little worried.

On Saturday Tumbu was up, she recognised us. Looked very alert.

Sunday - She still can't stand but sits up and tries to jump whenever she sees me at the hospital. She's still on drip. But she managed to eat half boiled egg when I fed her. Can't stand on her hind legs yet (one leg is a lil stiff).

I feel guilty that we didn't take her to the emergency clinic on time. Nobody in my family knew about epilepsy fits in dog and we were completely shocked, and that local vet didn't even say anything about taking her to the clinic.

Btw Tumbu's blood report is normal, no problem in kidney or liver.

I'm going to keep her at the clinic for couple of more days, or until the Vet says - "Take her home!!"

I'm determined to look after her no matter what. She's a part of our family and I cannot take the shortcut.
The worst part is that I can't shake the feeling of "done" this to her. :(

A. Can she ever walk?
B. Loss of appetite, is it normal?
C. How long do you suggest we keep her at the hospital?
D. Looking at the severity of her attack, I'm gonna have the vet put her on meds.

Alok T.
Kathmandu, Nepal

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: I feel so SCARED :( HELP!!!

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:26 am

Hi Alok,
What a horrible time you and Tumbu have had. I'm also shocked at what the first vet did. I can't believe he didn't tell you to get her to the ER right away.
It does sound like she's coming out of it. Depending on what they gave her in the drip, it can take as long as a week and sometimes longer for them to be able to walk without a problem. Especially their hind legs. The loading dose really knocks them out, and some dogs do have problems eating for a few days. It also sounds like the emergency vet knows what he's doing and will let you know when you should take her home. I would sit down and talk to him about what you need to know. Find out what meds he recommends and what he wants you to do if the seizures happen again at home. You can give extra meds after a seizure to keep them from continuing.
Take as many treatment notes as you can, and also notes on the seizures themselves so you have a record of what happened and how long they lasted to tell your vet. You may think you'll remember, but when your dog has a seizure you can easily forget things.
In the meantime I would find a good regular vet. Ask your friend's emergency vet who he would recommend. You need someone to guide through this.
You didn't do this to her. You trusted a vet that you should have been able to trust.
Keep us posted on how you are.

Lynne

Alok Thapa

Post by Alok Thapa » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:26 am

This means a lot, Lynne! Thank you!!!

Today is the third day. She's improving but it's happening slowly. I'm fine with it as long as she starts to eat / drink. She is having difficulty lapping water out of the bowl, so I used syringe and she happily gulped down a small glass of water. She also ate a whole flat-bread (that my mom made for her).

The vet was telling me that they are giving her drip until she's fully eating / drinking. They are also giving her anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant meds. Btw when we pinch her hind legs she responds, kicks.

She has a drip on her right front leg; I feel she's a lil vary of stepping on that foot, and combined with the slightly sore hind leg she's not giving her 100% when we try to make her stand.

The vet doesn't want to take chance as Tumbu had cluster seizure last Friday, so when she has recovered enough he's going to start Phenobarbital.

I'm thinking of taking some cheese tomorrow with flat breads. Or shall I feed her boiled chicken pieces?
If there's anything I should do, let me know - PLEASE!!

I'm surprised that after I posted about Tumbu's fits many people on my network on Facebook said - "Really??? Dogs have fits??? That sounds like my dog!! etc etc"... clearly many people in Kathmandu, Nepal, are not aware of this. I've made up my mind to do something about this situation.

PS: Here's Tumbu soaking up some sun!

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:01 am

I'm glad to hear that Tumbu is improving. It sounds like your vet is well aware of how serious seizures can be. You may want to try some boiled chicken with rice and you can add some vegetable broth to the water for flavor. That's what we've given our dogs when they've had problems eating.
I think most people aren't aware of epilepsy in dogs. We all find out the hard way.
It'll probably take awhile for Tambu to regain her personality, but you're seeing it already so I think that's a positive sign.
The photo didn't come through on my computer, but it's been acting up lately so it's most likely a problem on my end.

Take Care and let us know how things are going.
Lynne

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:39 am

Welcome to the boards. Don't really have much to add to what Lynne said. This is a scary time but obviously you love Tumbu because you did the best thing you could for her and got her the help she needs. This will be a journey. The medication they start her on may work, but don't be surprised if things need to change. I have friends with dogs that have epilepsy that are managed well on their meds, Shiloh was one of those that wasn't his story. Each dog is different and having seizures doesn't mean they can't have long happy lives.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Alok Thapa

Post by Alok Thapa » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:39 am

Tumbu's been in the hospital for 5 days now, and today she did the drunk (wobbly) walk (we had to hold her). She's finally taking baby steps and using her hind legs. She also drank water by herself.

The vet suspects what my father was saying from the start - Tumbu might have incurred head (or neck) injury. She was sleeping when the garbage collector came blowing his whistle, which gets her really upset. While jumping off the couch she landed on her head. After that fall she immediately had her first fit that lasted 30 seconds, and then half an hour later the non-stop seizures.

Vet is saying the seizures must have been due to that trauma.
{Curios: Does this sound like Vestibular Episodes? One of my friends was telling me about it.}

Since Tumbu hasn't had any seizure since Friday's episode the vet is ruling out epilepsy, and thinks we can take her home on the 6th day (tomorrow).

I'm super psyched about her progress, and the fact that she's coming home tomorrow, but i'm worried about the seizures.
What if it strikes again?
Should I ask for alternative like valium that I can administer at home?? (I read somewhere that it can be given through rectum while having seizures, or is that smth better left to professionals).

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:39 am

I'm glad to hear Tumbu is making progress. Are you talking about Vestibular Disease? Jake had it two years ago and while it does cause the dog to be very unstable when they try to walk and hold themselves up, as far as I know it doesn't cause seizures. But that's something you can talk to your vet about.
It sounds like they're waiting to see if this is from the fall or not.
If she has another seizure that lasts under 3 minutes and none after that, contact your vet to see what he wants you to do. If there's more than one get her back to the emergency vet because then they may want to put her on medication. There is rectal Valium to use at home, but I'm not sure he would prescribe it if he doesn't think it's epilepsy. You could ask the vet about that. Maybe he could give you tablets to give her instead.

I hope everything continues to improve.
Take Care,
Lynne