Seizures that happen in the middle of the night

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

mtimmons

Seizures that happen in the middle of the night

Post by mtimmons » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read what is happening to my Daisy girl and for any input and advice you can give me.

Daisy is 5 years old, 65 pounds, and has recently suffered from two grand mal seizures, spaced 3 weeks apart, and both occurred between the hours of 3:30-4:30am.

Last night, which would have been one week since the last seizure, she woke up and I thought she was in her pre-ictal stage so i applied ocular compression and she did not end up having a seizure.

She went to our vet after both seizures and we discussed treatment. My vet gave me a prescription for extended release Keppra, which I have not filled or given to Daisy because we also talked about CBD and she gave me the option of trying that first.

Daisy has been taking Canna Companion capsules, which is what our vet recommended, for a week now. She gets one regular strength capsule with dinner. After last night, I'm not sure it's working. I have also been reading that the CBD:THC ratio is not high enough with these capsules and that a higher quality extract, like Palmettos Harmony, would potentially work better.

I'd really like to stick to a more holistic approach, because I feel like once I start her on pharmaceuticals it only adds up from there -- meaning it'll start with 2 Keppra a day, but how long until her brain adjusts and we have to add higher doses or more meds? I of course want these seizures to disappear too.

Is there any research or methods that tend to help dogs who seizure in the middle of the night? Am I hurting my dog more in the long run by trying these holistic methods first?

Thank you.

Brittneynallen

Re: Seizures that happen in the middle of the night

Post by Brittneynallen » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:07 pm

My Lola really only had seizures in the middle of the night, it got so bad she went from sleeping on the couch which she really enjoyed to me having her sleep in bed with me so she was safe. From my research it's common for the seizures the happen in the middle of the night. Lola was on 3 different meds, phenobarbital, keppra, and kbrovet. The kbrovet is what I really saw a difference in her when she started that. I say there is no harm in trying holistic meds, i wish I had tried for Lola. This disease is horrible, and I'm so sorry for what you and your fur baby are going through. Hang in there.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:57 am

Our Jake seized mostly in the middle of the night. We adjusted to that by having him in the bedroom with us always, and he slept with his head on my feet which actually helped me keep from jumping every time I heard a noise. As far as I know there's nothing you can do besides adding conventional or holistic meds once a pattern is seen to hopefully stave off seizures whether they happen during the day or night. Ocular compression helped us stop many seizures in Jake's life.
We used both holistic and conventional methods. Initially we used holistic which helped get the duration of his seizures down but didn't give us any more time in between them. We also came up with a tincture that contained 6 different ingredients to help calm him and it definitely helped him many times especially before thunderstorms. We eventually found a rhythm where if we felt he might be heading for a seizure we would try homeopathic methods and if that didn't work we gave extra conventional. I personally think both are best. In my experience, as much as I would love to say holistic meds can work on their own, they are no match for status. Don't overestimate what it can do. I'm truly not trying to scare you more than you already are, Jake's death is still very fresh for me, but he never once came close and it only took once and we lost him. While there is a very good chance that underlying problems cause status there was no indication that he was headed in that direction. So please take it very seriously. These seizure have their own agenda and rarely can we outsmart them. I think CBD oil will probably wind up being like most meds. There will be and are many dogs that it helps, but there will also be many that it doesn't help at all. I don't think there is any harm in trying different brands to see if one works, but from what I understand how to dose is the real question. They are figuring that out now.
We also used Cholodin, which helped his overall wellbeing, and also used DMG, Milk Thistle, Taurine, and a very good multivitamin. I would sit down with your vet and go over all of it. Our vet would look into things and usually decide that trying wouldn't do harm. It's a real guessing game.
I know the idea of starting conventional meds is scary. When Jake first started seizing I thought there was no way he would handle them. He and I were pretty wimpy. But when he started having seizures closer together we started with Pb and went from there. The night he died the vet in charge said she couldn't believe how healthy his blood work was given that he was on Pb for over 10 years. If you keep up with testing you can catch any problems early on.
I know this is long, but I hope it helps.
Take Care,
Lynne

mtimmons

Post by mtimmons » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:12 am

Thank you both for your thoughtful replies. I absolutely hate that there is no way to get total peace of mind from any treatment.

We used to let Daisy sleep wherever she wanted - sometimes that was on the couch, the floor by our bed, on our bed, or she would choose her crate. Lately we have been keeping her in her crate with the door closed because I think she tends to move around less, and therefore I sleep a little better.

I scheduled an appointment with another vet who specializes in both Western and holistic medicine so hopefully she helps us find a good balance of treatment options. I really love my other vet and her practice has taken great care of us, but a second opinion couldn't hurt.