My dog with this new seizure disorder

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

BethParks

My dog with this new seizure disorder

Post by BethParks » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:52 am

Hello
Very new to this forum, very new to seizures.
I have a 2 year old beautiful male aussie who is my pet, my other two dogs "brother" and he is a joy. Great temperament. He also does competition agility with me and my 2 6 year old dogs.

I'm pretty devastated by this which came out of nowhere. There is no genetic link, I know the breeder well and have spoken with her many times. She is a Hall of Fame breeder who is very ethical and has great integrity. He is also my 3rd aussie from her.

Ninja's first seizure was Sunday night around 1:00 a.m. He then had one about 36 hours later and then 2 more within an hour of each. We took him to emergency last night. Fortunately we have a great er 24 hour hospital "near" us.

They started him right away on Kepra intravenously. He is still there and has not had a seizure since here at 3:00 a.m. So obviously it's helping for now.
I'm going to hpefully pick him up later.

My question to the forum is:
Ninja's symptoms and cluster seizures are this pattern:

seizing for about 1 minute, foaming at the mouth, then jumps up and (my dogs sleep in their crates) and then he gets so disorientated he sees us, barks and growls quite ferociously for about 10 to 15 minutes. Of course then he poops and is circling around int he crate and gets it all over him. So that by the time he settles down, he is covered in poop and so are we and the carpet etc. Almost every time that aggression comes out. This dog has never displayed that behavior and I'm not taking it personally, I'm just wondering how many of you have had this. I noticed a bunch of you mention your dog sleeping with you but it would be impossible for me to have him sleep with me. His behaviors right after seizure are quite dangerous and of course messy.

Any thoughts? I defiitely look forward to support.
Thank you.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: My dog with this new seizure disorder

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:52 pm

About a month before we witnessed Jake's first seizure his whole personality changed. Everyone thought he was grieving because of the loss of another pet. He would growl at people from time to time and completely withdraw. After he was diagnosed we realized that he most likely had had mild grand mals and was reacting post ictal. Over the years there were times after seizures when he would bark uncontrollably and at times would cry like a wounded animal. From what were told they can have hallucinations where everything around them looks distorted, scary and threatening. Hopefully once they take Ninja's tests and find out if there is anything causing the seizures the medication will help with his aggression. You can get pads to line the bottom of his crate to help with the mess. Unfortunately that's part of this too. Jake used to make a huge mess and then about 5 years into it he stopped. We have no idea why.
As far as there not being a genetic connection there's no way to know that for sure. There isn't a test for Australian Shepherds, and dogs can carry the genes and not have seizures. By the way I'm glad to hear that your breeder not breeding seizure dogs. The ones that do make it so hard for the ones that are trying to do the right thing.
I hope everything settles down soon.

Lynne