Border collie with idiopathic epilepsy

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Njmaillady

Border collie with idiopathic epilepsy

Post by Njmaillady » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi ... my 7 year old border collie mix Ace was recently diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. We think he had his first seizure when he was 4 1/2 years old , but i was not home ... i just saw the aftermath of it in the form of a half eaten rug runner . this happened again a year later ... then i finally got to see what was happening. He woke me one night frantically licking the floor and double swallowing... is the closest i can get to describing what was happening. I took him outside where he frantically ate grass by the clumpfuls. Finally he relaxed. This has been going on for awhile. We thought maybe he was having some kind of stomach problems and treated him for that. Then maybe for acid reflux and treated him for that. All this time he kept having what we now feel are partial focal seizures that affect his throat muscles.
I finally got a video of it happening and when my vet saw it i was put in touch with a neurologist who also felt my dog was having seizures. the seizures in his throat and the swallowing where causing him to swallow air which built up in his stomach causing pain so he ate whatever to try to relieve it by throwing up ?
My neurologist now has him on 500 mg of extended release keppra for the last 3 months. Ace has had one seizure a week after starting and then 3 weeks later and now 5 weeks 5 days later. The neurologist is waiting to see how often the occur. He says he wants them no more that 5-6 times a year. that seems like a lot to me ? I dont want him to have any. But i think i see his point on not wanting to give him too many medicines.
How often do your pups have seizures ? and are you on multiple medicines? thanks

This all scares me as i work 9 hours a day and no one else is home with him . He does have another dog buddy.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Border collie with idiopathic epilepsy

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:53 am

It sounds like you're starting to get control of his seizures. Unfortunately the medications can work for some dogs and not work the same way for others so it's a wait and see thing. We never got control of Jake's seizures, but he still lived a long happy life despite having them every 2-3 weeks. I had a job when he was diagnosed but after his first cluster I had to quit to stay home with him because if he was alone he wouldn't stop seizing without extra meds. He was on PB and Keppra. I think it depends on the doctor when they describe control. Some consider control once a month and others once every two months.
Is there anyone who can stop in and check on Ace while you're at work? If not, many people here fix up a designated room or a large crate in case they have seizures while they're alone making sure there's nothing they can knock over, and no steps to fall down.
I know it's scary and even worse when you have to leave them alone.
I hope the seizures continue to get further apart.

Lynne