50+ Seizures in less than 12 hours

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

beaglesandbagels

50+ Seizures in less than 12 hours

Post by beaglesandbagels » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:29 pm

My beagle had her first seizure that I know of in August 2017. She was itching herself, biting herself and having infections that were not going away. My vet prescribed some topicals, and some ear drops along with Apoquel. The Apoquel seemed to help with the itching. Her 30 days of pills had run out, and we meant to get more but had not done so yet. On the third day of not having Apoquel, she had a seizure. At the time I didn't know 100% that it was one. Looked like she was chewing some gum along with some eye twitching. Saw the vet he prescribed phenobarb for ten days along with another month of Apoquel. This time around the Apoquel did not seem quite as effective. I decided I did not want her to have it after another 30 days. After discontinuing the Apoquel, two days later she had two seizures. She was now prescribed phenobarb twice a day, every day. She was 12 years old in August. My vet says epilepsy.

Oct 21, she had surgery to remove a couple of growths she had in between her toes and also in her right ear. About a week after her surgery we found out she also had a serious staph infection in the ear. She was prescribed Amikacin Otic. On the fourth day of giving this medication, she started having breathing issues. Day 7, she had 4 seizures within 3 hours. On day 12 she had over 50 seizures in less than 12 hours. She was paralyzed for more than 24 hours. She has had no more seizures, just some head bobbing/twitching, and leg shivering. Since that day she is no longer vocal, she is deaf. She still has this breathing problem which I can only explain as being labored or struggling to get a deep breath. My vet says it has nothing to do with the Amikacin because it is the ear drop version and not intervenous.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zjP4prOWHJtl3K9f2

https://youtu.be/GMYYA8G8e6I

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: 50+ Seizures in less than 12 hours

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:40 am

I would take her to an emergency hospital right away. The head bobbing, twitching and leg tremors could very well be seizures still continuing. Once you get her there check to see if you can consult with or see a neurologist. 50 seizures in 12 hours is very dangerous. It's called status. Without an MRI there's no way to know if a tumor could be causing this.
I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I don't mean to scare you but this is serious.

Take Care,
Lynne