Keppra and advice for a newbie that leaves dog home alone...

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

dsn3a

Keppra and advice for a newbie that leaves dog home alone...

Post by dsn3a » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi all,

I recently found this site, and I'm glad to know I'm not alone in dealing with this scary and difficult disease.

My dog Bronco is a 2 yr old Boston Terrier. He started having seizures about 7 months ago. He is now on Keppra, Pb, and Zonisamide. My questions are...

1.) I've read about a "honeymoon" effect with Keppra ER. My dog's dosage has been increased from 250mg to 750mg twice a day in 6 months...should I expect this to continue?

2.) I leave my dog alone home for about 10 hrs a day. I watch him with a webcam on my phone. Any general advice from others that are in my situation?

Thanks,
DS in Austin
===============
DS from Austin
Papa to a Boston Terrier
First Seizure May 2017
Meds: Keppra ER, Phenobarb, Zonisamide

Box40Rin

Re: Keppra and advice for a newbie that leaves dog home alon

Post by Box40Rin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:52 am

Good morning,
I really thought I had answered you earlier this week. I'm a retired veterinarian and would advise you to try changing the Keppra to twice a day when you are home and can monitor for reactions. Please let us know the outcome. We are interested.Box40rin

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:04 am

Hi DS,

For some dogs there is a honeymoon period with Keppra. We had it with Jake and tweaked his dosing many many times over the years. The good thing is that Keppra can be given at fairly high doses without any long term effects. As with most things it really does depend on the dog.
It's great that you have a webcam. Do you have him in a specific area or crate to keep him if he seizes? Some here put their dogs in a designated room taking out any furniture of anything that the dog could hit during a seizure and post ictal. If that's not possible just be sure to put up safety gates anywhere there are steps. Some have padded dog crates that have worked well. We didn't have a choice, I had to quit my job to stay home with Jake when he started clustering because we found he wouldn't stop if someone wasn't here to give him extra meds right away.
Yes, this disease will test you on many levels, but you will have a relationship with Bronco unlike any other. They really can tell that you're in the trenches fighting for them and give it back ten fold.

Good luck and let us know how you are.
Lynne

dsn3a

Post by dsn3a » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks for the reply. Bronco had a seizure today which I saw on the webcam, so I went home at lunch and gave him Keppra. Although the frequency had decreased 5-6 months ago, it seems the frequency is gaining again to be every 3-4 wks.

The one thing the Keppra has done well is bust his clusters. Before, his clusters were bad...like 4-6 per episode. Now they are limited to one or two (crossing fingers). I use the Keppra ER, since I'm not home to give him every 8 hrs.

Bronco is kept in the living, but has a leash to keep him from wandering too far from his crate. There is nothing nearby (other than wall corners) that can harm him.

These past 6-9 months of my life (aside from the seizure issues), have been the toughest I can remember...but I feel like a stronger person for having gone through it. I really appreciate the support on this site, and it's good to know I'm not alone in battling this.
===============
DS from Austin
Papa to a Boston Terrier
First Seizure May 2017
Meds: Keppra ER, Phenobarb, Zonisamide

Box40Rin

Re: Keppra and advice for a newbie that leaves dog home alone...

Post by Box40Rin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:05 am

Good morning,

I'm so glad you have that webcam. Also glad the Keppra has broken up the clusters. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. box40rin

johnyeo90

Re: Keppra and advice for a newbie that leaves dog home alone...

Post by johnyeo90 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:13 am

It actually quite heart broken watching dog from your webcam. I does that last time, and I saw my dog was actually waiting me at the door for whole day. And the moment I reach home, he can sense that Im coming and he just barking so loud and happy.
Website design Malaysia