New member with questions

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Alliezig

New member with questions

Post by Alliezig » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:55 pm

My 6 year old dog, Ziggy, had his first seizure on 12/23/17. It lasted 4 minutes and was very difficult as Ziggy foamed at the mouth, was not aware, thrashed on the floor and then had a violent stiffening in which he hit a dining chair and bench very hard. He then went behind the sofa. A vet tech came to the house within 45 minutes and we transported Ziggy to the hospital. The blood work was normal and Ziggy was sent home with no medications. Early this morning (1/2/18) at 4AM Ziggy had another seizure lasting 3 minutes and ending with Ziggy throwing himself off the bed and knocking a table over. After about 30 minutes he got up and was extremely hyper for about 1.5 hours. The vet called me around 6AM - I had sent her a text - and she had me pick up Keppra. She started him on 750 mg 3 x a day. She furnished a bottle of 500mg tablets and prescribed 1.5 3x a day. This seems very high to me but I do not know much about Keppra. Ziggy is a mix of lab Shepherd and weighs 62 pounds. She also gave me diazepam to use after a seizure if he is hyper. The Keppra is generic - levetiracetam.

The vet said if he had additional seizures she would recommend an MRI. Ziggy was scheduled for repeat blood work on 1/12 and will see her then.

Any advice on medicine would really be appreciated or any advice would be appreciated as I am heartbroken. Ziggy is my only dog as he is an extreme resource guarder which I learned after rescue. He did live with my German Shepherd, Allie but after she went to the Bridge on 2/7/16, he has become even more fearful of other dogs and it is not possible to have another dog with Ziggy. Now I wonder if the fear is somehow related to the seizure issue. I have been reading thru the forum and it has been helpful.
Mary Lou and Ziggy
1000 mg Keppra 3 x day; 1.5 grams Phenobarbital 2 x day

dsn3a

Re: New member with questions

Post by dsn3a » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:35 pm

Keppra is the least toxic to dogs in larger quantities, based on my readings/discussions with vet. My dog started on 250mg 3x day. Now he is on 750mg Keppra ER, 2x per day.

When he has a seizure, I give him a Keppra, and it shortens the seizure duration and clustering. Also, try ocular pressure. I just recently found out about this.
===============
DS from Austin
Papa to a Boston Terrier
First Seizure May 2017
Meds: Keppra ER, Phenobarb, Zonisamide

Alliezig

Post by Alliezig » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am

Thank you. May I ask what is ocular pressure? Ziggy cannot be approached right after a seizure - will bite.
Also my doctor lowered the keppra to 500 mg 3x a day as he was groggy yesterday.

Since Ziggy is 6 years old I have a concern as to brain involvement - would there be other symptoms if Ziggy had a brain tumor - it is difficult to even write this question.

I discontinued his once a month Sentinel heart worm medication for now as we live in Las Vegas and it is cold (relatively) and heart worm is not as big a problem in the desert as other parts of the country.
Mary Lou and Ziggy

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:32 am

Hi Mary Lou and welcome to the forums. I'm so sorry that you and Ziggy are dealing with this and know how hard it can be.

Here's a link that explains ocular compression. I read somewhere that it shouldn't be used on dogs with heart issues so before trying be sure to talk to your vet. I was able to use it on Shiloh once when I could tell he was getting ready to seize and it seemed to work for him in stopping the seizure, most of the time though I wasn't able to get to him quick enough. http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Ocularcompression.html

It's extra scary when we think there's a possibility of brain tumor, but from what I know, there would typically be other symptoms if that was the case, especially pressing the head against something like a wall, abnormal behavior, etc.

The Keppra dose sounds about right and believe it gives the vet some room to increase dosage if needed. Shiloh weighed about what your dog does and think he was on 1000mg 3x a day when he took it.

As far as having another dog, it might be a good thing to just have the one. If he's aggressive after a seizure he could attack another dog or the other dog could attack him while he's having a seizure. I was fortunate that my other two dogs weren't bothered by Shiloh's seizures and post ictal (after seizure) behavior and just avoided him.

I sincerely pray the best for you and Ziggy.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Alliezig

Post by Alliezig » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Colleen - thank you for your kind words and information. I am still in what is a state of denial and shock regarding Ziggy - he has been such a challenge since I rescued him at age 5 months but is truly one of the most loving dogs ever. Ziggy has had severe behavioral issues with resource guarding and fear and now epilepsy. Hopefully the keppra will work.

It has helped reading the posts on this forum and digesting the information and for that I am grateful.
Mary Lou and Ziggy