I really need advice. Medications are not really helping.

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Jumpblue82

I really need advice. Medications are not really helping.

Post by Jumpblue82 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:46 pm

Hey everyone,
I’m feeling super down. The love of my life, a 5 year old chihuahua named Pancho, has so many many health issues. One that is most upsetting is his epilepsy. Currently he is taking phenobarbital twice a day (15 mg tablet cut in half) and then once a day he is taking potassium bromide (60 mg tablets). He continues to have seizures here and there but yesterday he had his first one at 9am, second at 12am, third at 8:30 this morning and now at 3pm. I’m at my whits end. Is there more I can do? I want to change his diet but now he has to be on Royal Canin urinary because he has chronic Cystine crystals and stones that build in his bladder preventing him from urinating. That all resulted in a cystotomy that was done poorly and caused a hernia. 4500 dollars later and all is fixed but his seizures are becoming more frequent. I don’t know what to do I feel like I live at the vet and still nothing changes. He has gained almost a pound after everything was done and a steroid shot was given. He now weighs 6.8 lbs.
if anyone has advice I would greatly appreciate it.

SpencerBhumi

Re: I really need advice. Medications are not really helping

Post by SpencerBhumi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi jumpblue,

I am sorry you need to join this forum, but welcome and I hope you get all the advice and support you need.

First up, with these fits clustering now, I strongly recommend a vet review – to rule out any underlying illness/issue causing the epilepsy to flare up.

We used pheno and KBrom too but the KBrom we also gave 12 hourly – both drugs at 8am & 8pm with meals (the pheno at 8 & 8 because it needs to be 12 hourly, and the KBrom at the same time, served with food to reduce the stomach irritations caused by KBrom). I would ask the vet if you can divide the KBrom dose to give it 12 hourly and spread its cover.

Gaining weight can decrease a medication’s effectiveness so you may need to increase the medications (or lose weight) – another reason your dog may be clustering this week.

So again I recommend you get an urgent vet review –
-for a general wellness assessment
-to discuss drug level monitoring for a possible medication increase.
-discuss with your vet a cluster prevention/breaking plan (Diazepam, Midazolam, Clorazepate, Keppra bolus, other emergency medication plan).
-also discuss the addition of Milk Thistle, if you are not already using it, to support the pheno ravaged liver.

I wish you and Pancho well and will keep you in my prayers. Let us know how you are progressing.

Regards,
Trevor
In memory of Spencer (7-12-2005 – 22-8-2017)