I really need advice. Medications are not really helping.

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Jumpblue82

I really need advice. Medications are not really helping.

Post by Jumpblue82 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:24 am

Hey everyone,
I’m feeling super down. The love of my life, a 5 year old chihuahua named Pancho, has so many many health issues. One that is most upsetting is his epilepsy. Currently he is taking phenobarbital twice a day (15 mg tablet cut in half) and then once a day he is taking potassium bromide (60 mg tablets). He continues to have seizures here and there but yesterday he had his first one at 9am, second at 12am, third at 8:30 this morning and now at 3pm. I’m at my whits end. Is there more I can do? I want to change his diet but now he has to be on Royal Canin urinary because he has chronic Cystine crystals and stones that build in his bladder preventing him from urinating. That all resulted in a cystotomy that was done poorly and caused a hernia. 4500 dollars later and all is fixed but his seizures are becoming more frequent. I don’t know what to do I feel like I live at the vet and still nothing changes. He has gained almost a pound after everything was done and a steroid shot was given. He now weighs 6.8 lbs.
if anyone has advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: I really need advice. Medications are not really helping

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:33 pm

I'm sorry things are so rough right now. Has your vet talked to you about giving extra meds after seizures to prevent clusters? Do you have Rectal Valium available to you? You can also give up to an extra dose of Pb after the first seizure to help prevent more. If Rectal Valium doesn't help you can also try Clorazepate. I would talk to your vet about this right away.

I hope this helps,
Lynne