Any ideas?

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

TRACYW

Any ideas?

Post by TRACYW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:50 am

Hello everyone

My 11 year old cross breed called Druss had never been sick a day in his life - until he started seizing and he has now been diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. We have been fiddling with dosages trying to find the right mix that would work for him. A week ago he had cluster seizures and was rushed to ICU. Last Sunday he had Bromide toxicity and was back in ICU. He was released yesterday and we are back to waiting to see whether the current dosage will control his seizures. My question is this: He sleeps for long periods but periodically gets up and wanders about aimlessly. This is not a concern during the day - but at night it is a big problem. We all sleep in one room together. He keeps the humans and the rest of the furkids awake (we have 3 other rescue mixed breeds) and tempers are starting to wear thin. Does anyone have any suggestions about things to try that might stop the night time wandering? :D

Box40Rin

Re: Any ideas?

Post by Box40Rin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:12 am

Good morning,

I'm a retired veterinarian and one of the modertors of this forum. My first question is: when does he get his medications? Morning, noon, night or ... Could be the medication is not lasting through the night. You didn't say what he is curreently taking. That's my first thought. Having had a dog with seizures, I know how the other dogs act. Keep us posted, please. We are interested.box40rin

TRACYW

Re: Any ideas?

Post by TRACYW » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:41 am

Hi and thanks so much...

OK... he is currently on 3 Sedabarb tablets twice a day (at 6am and 6pm) and 1.5ml of Potassium Bromide (also at 6am and 6pm). He didn't have this symptom when he was on the Sedabarb alone so I think it is a side effect of the Potassium Bromide.... any suggestions you can give would be very welcome... he woke up at 3am this morning and there was loads of growling and posturing by the other 3 furkids so we ended up putting him in the spare room which is NOT ideal as we won't know if he seizes when he is there ... it was the only way we could settle the room down though.... I have tried everything.... letting him out,side to go to the toilet, giving him water, giving him a snack, sitting with him and stroking him... he just gets stuck in this behaviour "loop" which seems to be totally without any purpose. He's not hungry, he's not thirsty and he doesn't want to go to the toilet. I have been reading about rescue remedy (we're in Africa) and we can get that here so I will try that tomorrow. Anything else you can suggest would be very welcome. I don't want to isolate him. He is part of the family. Just FYI - I work from home most days and although he goes out occasionally to get water or do his business - he has taken to curling up in the tiny space under my desk - he settles right down for ages like that... which leads me to wonder if crating him at night might not be a solution? Maybe he just needs a safe small space?