Seizures more Intense

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

jaragr

Re: Seizures more Intense

Post by jaragr » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:03 am

My vet will not talk to me about it. We are giving him 1 capsule a day which is what the bottle says for his weight. It is HEMP oil, and a pharmacist told me hemp is the same as CBD oil. Got it from Pet ReLeaf. It's really expensive. I have seen where it just doesn't help some dogs, and for us, this is a last resort.

monicad2018

Post by monicad2018 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi! Hemp oil and CBD oil are made from different parts of the plant and have different purposes so there is a variation in them. I have tried many different brands with my dog including both oil and capsules. I did stop giving it to him for a brief period because I didn't think it was helping and he ended up having a pretty violent seizure so I can honestly say I do see a difference (he is also on pheno, keppra, and potassium bromide). You might want to check out Holistapet. This is by far my favorite brand. Their products have a good amount of active CBD and they are cheaper compared to other brands.

Scrannel

Post by Scrannel » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:53 am

Our Aussie was having seizures even on medication. We stopped them by putting him back on a normal diet for carnivores. Look here:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 141700.htm

jaragr

Post by jaragr » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:02 pm

Monica our dog is on no drugs - seizures are about every 10 weeks. Just recently has he started having 2 in one day. I will definitely check out Holisapet (sorry if I spelled that wrong). Do you use the CBD or the hemp capsules? A pharmacist told me hemp is CBD. A 30 day supply of these capsules is about $75 where I got them.

Kestrel

Post by Kestrel » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:31 pm

My dog didn't like the taste of CBD oil, I got the one by Innovet, didn't help prevent or extend the time before the seizure. I wish they would standardize it like regular medicine. The seizures my dog has are very intense, my dog is a geriatric with a brain tumor. We got two nanny cams to keep an eye on him while we are at work and that I highly recommend for all working epileptic dog parents.
16 yr old beagle
first seizure Sept 1 2017 when he was 15
Zonisamide 50 mg x 2 a day, since March 2018
Levetiracetam XR 750 split x 2 a day, since Oct 2018