I thought that we had this licked.

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

kimsuebee

I thought that we had this licked.

Post by kimsuebee » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:19 pm

Poppy is a healthy 2 yo German Shepherd Dog. I decided to wait to spay her after her first heat. She had her first heat at 16 months. She had her first seizure 5/27/2019. She had a second seizure 1 month later. They soon became closer together and she started having clusters. I tried Chinese herbs first. When it was clear that wasn't going to control the seizures, we started her on Zonisimide and then we added Keppra and finally we added phenobarbital.
My vet stated that we need to wait to have Poppy's seizures under control for spay surgery. An Emergency vet stated that she needed spay surgery ASAP. I had her spay on 1/14/2020. She was within the therapeutic levels of phenobarbital and had not had a seizure in two weeks. She continued to be seizure free until today 2/15/2020. I honestly thought that we had this licked...being 45 days without a seizure. I was actually envisioning our lives fast forward going on vacation and being able to go out in the evenings and not having to get up at 4AM 5AM and 6AM to administer medication.
Poppy has been on a raw diet since she was weaned. She has never had a vaccination, heart worm medication, flea-tick preventative. She has tested negative 3 times for heart worm and lyme disease. Her CBC test results show her to be a healthy dog. She has never even had diarrhea. She has had chiropractic adjustments and acupuncture. I have removed all possible triggers from our home. I don't even chew gum at home.
The only thing that I have not done is a MRI. I have been told that an MRI usually comes back inconclusive.
I have wracked my brain. Maybe it is something simple. Maybe it is just what it is.

I am not sure what is next. I am exhausted and financially wiped out and I just had a good cry. I cry for her, I cry for me. Why can't Poppy and I just have a happy normal life? I love her to the moon and back and I am having a hard time envisioning the next 10 years.

POPPY 7/09/2017
First seizure 5/27/2019
Zonisimide 200 mg BID
Keppra 1500 mg TID
Phenobarbital 76mg BID

GentleJacob's Mom

Re: I thought that we had this licked.

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:49 am

I'm sorry you and Poppy are going through all of this. Unfortunately more often than not, even with perfect test results, our fur babies continue to seize and we have to accept it. I've had to accept many things I didn't want to in my life, but accepting that Jake was refractory and there was no magic bullet was by far one of the hardest. I didn't do it gracefully, but eventually, with the help of the wonderful people here, pulled my big girl pants up and took it on because I knew if I didn't it would run over me and that wouldn't help Jake at all. It's a horrible pill to swallow.
It sounds like you are doing everything you possibly can. One of the first vets we saw told us that one main thing is to keep them as happy as possible. Even though there were times when I felt as though I'd somehow failed him, I knew Jake was a happy dog. Part of that included taking him everywhere with us. He was by my side 24/7 and when we went on vacations the dogs always came along. When we went out for dinner they went with us. Our SUV was pretty much their traveling dog house. We bought a backpack for non seizure dog to carry all of Jake's meds when we hiked in case he had a problem. He never once did. He loved long hikes. When we went on vacation we always checked into vets nearby and contacted them to let them know we would be in the area. They were always very nice and offered any help they could. I realized I relaxed more when they were with us and we still bring our pups along even now that Jake is gone.
It's a painful and stressful adjustment but you can do it. It's financially draining, but you'll find a way. Make sure your vet hears you when you're scared and ask every question you need to have answered. And just as important don't forget to be kind to yourself. You're doing everything you possibly can to fight an impossible disease.
Keep us posted. We're here if you need us.
Take care,
Lynne

kimsuebee

Post by kimsuebee » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:08 pm

Thank you. I am feeling a little better today. I think that Poppy is a pretty happy dog. I take here with me where I can. She barks a lot and her bark is scary, so a lot of times I leave her in the car. She stays home in the summer of course because I won't leave her in the car if it is warm. We have our emergency kit with our ice collar and vest. Usually after a seizure we go drive around. I just drive her up and down the street that the emergency vet is on. Usually after an extra dose of Keppra and a car ride she is OK. I will just take it one day at a time.

GentleJacob's Mom

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:21 am

You're doing everything you can and that's all you can do. You're handling things much better than I did. In the beginning I was determined that I could find a away to stop the seizures, and there must be something that hadn't been tried yet. Kind of arrogant. I look back and wonder why everyone didn't tell me to take a hike. I finally got it through my thick head and accepted it. It took a long time for me to join CEN because I was in denial. I would come here and read what everyone was going through and then convince myself that wasn't happening. We were so lucky to have a vet that was patient beyond words.
I hope you have many seizure free days ahead. And on the days that you don't we're here.

Lynne