Rage Syndrome

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Andrea

Rage Syndrome

Post by Andrea » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:19 am

Hello, I am new to this site. I have been researching seizures, as I do believe that is what my English Setter was having. Jackson was put to his rest yesterday, we could not chance his attacking anyone outside our home. Jackson was a beautiful, sweet, playful and active puppy. He would have been 3 years old Friday, Jan. 28, 2005. At around 2 1/2 years old he was with my son, just hanging out with him, Drew went to pet him and he attacked him, grabbing his hand and wouldn't let go. There was no warning, no growling, no facial expression, just a strong hold on his hand and a horrible loud noise almost like a growl but much more intense. We thought he may be ill, so in the a.m. we would take him to the vet. That evening Jackson attacked my husband and I. The vet took bloodwork, nothing showed, he said he would probably attack again, but I was stubborn and figured it would pass. Well it did pass, he didn't do it anymore, he returned to the Jackson we new, until this past week. I noticed that he was constantly licking his paw pads with such intense, that he did not hear me or respond. I would awake at night to find him pacing in our room, wanting to go outside constantly to urinate. He looked at me as if he didn't know me at times, didn't come when called, didn't want to be cuddled then he started to fight with our 13 year od Springer Spaniel, who was his best friend. Our Spaniel kept away from him. One night a week ago, my husbnd sat by Jack on the floor and went to pet him, Jack lunged at him. My husband got up, not injured, and we thought he was sick again. 2 days ago my 19 year old son went to pet him on the hind and Jack out of the blue lunged around to face him and had that fierce sound in his voice. Drew was not hurt, Jackson returned to his normal self. 3 hours later I was playing with Angel the Springer, and Jackson came over to play. I was petting him, when I realized that our Springer started to back off, as if something was about to happen, Jackson 's tail stopped wagging, his body became rigid and he turned to look at me with eyes of black. His eyes were not his, no color, totally bulging and he stared at me. I knew I was in trouble as I was on the floor. I put my arm in front of my face and leaned back so as to not get it in the face. Jackson lunged at me , grabbed my arm with such strength, then he let go and came at it again, as if he couldn't stop, grabbed me a third time, and I got to my feet to shake him off. I screamed and Angel jumped at him to knock him off. He let go, ran to the corner of the room, and looked like he had no idea of what happened. He was always apologetic after any attack. But none of the attacks were this severe. He wouldn't come to me for the rest of the day and we didn't bother him. He would look at me like he didn't know me or the family. I sat with him all night just looking a how beautiful he was, peaceful and calm in his sleep, but did notice that he was shaking and breathing very heavy all night, almost barking in his sleep. In the morning we took him to the vets, and put him out of his misery. I truely believe that he had no idea what he had done with each of the attacks. He was always back to his old self within 10 minutes. But this time he didn't come back. He was a wonderful friend who I will miss so much. Please let me know if anyone has had this experience. Looking into his background, there were alot of Champions, and alot of inbreeding with both sides of parents. Could this have something to do with it? Is this a sort of seizure?

Thank you for listening.

Andrea

copper03

my lab

Post by copper03 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:48 am

i had a labroder Sandy who suffered from seizures when he was 3 it was devastating towards the end he did not know who we were and would get "grumpy" and we'd stay away we also had to put him to sleep.
it was so sad but previously it happened to our picanese-chuwowa mix that was completely healthy and just snapped it was a very scary experiance also but i think it happens more than people think.