Type of Seizure and what to do...?

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Zoey Grace

Type of Seizure and what to do...?

Post by Zoey Grace » Fri May 18, 2007 8:25 am

Hi to all! I 'm relatively new here and so far have found everyone to be extremely helpful and insightful. Though I'm sure if we all had the choice, no one would be members here and would have healthy pets, but given the situation....I think this forum is a great idea.

Anyway, I have a question about the type of seizures my dog suffers from. Research tends to classify seizures as either petite or grand mal. At first I thought she was havign grand mal, but they don't seem as severe as the description and videos of grand's. Here's what she does:
She will wake up seizuring (I hear that's common). It begins in her facial muscles and spreads down her body in waves. In like a rolling method, her body tenses and releases, like she's a boat in rough waters. She does not lose her footing, get rigid or start nashing her mouth, etc like research on grand mals says she should, but she is very unsteady and understandably scared. She has never lost consciousness or had difficulty breathing that we have noticed. She has wet herself, but never lost other body function, and it always seems like she wants to "walk if off". When we take her outside (to avoid puddles, etc in the house) she almost immediately purks up and soon after is in the opst-ichtal stage (drooling, lethargy, etc). The seizure from the beginning lasts about 2 minutes at the most.

Is this just a minor version of a grand mal? I'm sure like many diseases, symptoms have to be lumped together under certain categories. I just want to be able t give my vet a more accurate comment than "well, they're more severe than petite but less severe than grand". We do plan on videotaping her if she has another, to show our vet exactly what's happening.

Please let me know. Again thanks for the assistance and I wish you and your pets the best in health and happiness!

Juliana and Carl
Zoey Grace
Lab/Beagle Mix
2 yrs, 32 lbs
First Seizure: 01/03/07
Last Seizure: Hopefully was 05/04/07

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Fri May 18, 2007 10:40 am

I guess I`m not sure where the dividing line is. Dylan never had anything that was minor.
but I`m sure your vet will understand. mine did me in my panic stricken state more then once.
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Fri May 18, 2007 11:30 am

Technically, dogs do not have petit mal seizures in the true sense. What you described is a classic "complex focal seizure". Pelase read about them on this site. They are typically indicative of secondary epilepsy- not primary. Click on the top link to the left of this post. "Canine epilepsy Basics" Best of luck to you.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

Zoey Grace

Post by Zoey Grace » Fri May 18, 2007 12:44 pm

I was thinking about focal seizures, but i thought they were more facial or on one side of the body. She always starts out with the full-body-experience, which doesn't really give us a sense of what's going on. Should we lie her down so she doesn't hurt herself or continue t let her try to stand?
Also, do focal seizures cluster? She started with occasional, out-of-the blue seizures, so the vet was hesitant to start meds at first. But the last time she has what we believed to be a cluster (3 episodes lasting from 30 sec to 4 min within a half an hour), so we immediately brought her in and the vet diagnosed idiopathic eplilepsy and did blood tests to start her on meds. She now takes Phenobarb 2x a day...it this maybe too much or not necessary if they are focal?
Thanks again!

Juliana
Zoey Grace
Lab/Beagle Mix
2 yrs, 32 lbs
First Seizure: 01/03/07
Last Seizure: Hopefully was 05/04/07

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Fri May 18, 2007 12:53 pm

that's a vets call for sure. Most will start meds if seizure activity is about every 30 days. Since your dog is fortunatelty not experiencing Grand mals, that's a personal decision. I would be a little concerned that they are complex focals. Complex focals may be indicative of secondary not primary epilepsy. I am not a vet and don't profess to know, but I would have a neurologist take a look at your dog. Personally, I would have started on KBr first and not directly to Pb.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Fri May 18, 2007 9:07 pm

Juliana, my dog has had a few seizures similar to what you describe where he doesn't fall down, he is scared/skittish, he is wobbly, he drools. I'm not sure about that rolling thing you described but the rest of it sounds familiar. I've always just characterized it as a very mild seizure. I think the times I was most likely to see one of those, instead of the typical ones which are much more severe, were shortly after starting a new drug or increasing the dosage of an existing drug. I interpreted it as meaning the drugs were limiting the severity of the seizure, but the seizures have always gotten worse again after a short time so who knows.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Sat May 19, 2007 11:30 am

The rolling thing isa result of the muscles firing in sequence down the body. Its typically indicative of a neurological disorder but not always. Its a different type of seizure.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

daavidfischer

Re: Type of Seizure and what to do...?

Post by daavidfischer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:05 am

I am not sure if this is something you should be asking here and waiting for someone's reply. It is best to go to a vet to see what it is and find a solution for this. Because dogs kind of have a pretty weak immune system when it comes to seizures as quoted by one of my vet friends.

-----------------------------------
David Grant
EHR software
-----------------------------------