Vocalizing During Seizures?

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

ezod52

Vocalizing During Seizures?

Post by ezod52 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:53 pm

Hello everyone

I found this very helpful group years ago when our Pomerania, Speckles, was having uncontrolled grand-mal’s on a regular basis. We lost our poor girl about a year and a half ago. I believe I posted her story after she passed but I have not been back since

Unfortunately, our other Pomeranian, Deogee, started having bizarre episode the past week and we are trying to diagnose currently. Vet says it could be seizures or something else. I was looking to you all for some feedback

The episode involves him screaming at the top of his lungs repeatedly until he wakes up / snaps out of it. As he screams, his body sometimes will convulse with the scream. He does not urinate/defecate. The first few we thought were just nightmares - but when he had one every day for almost a week, we figured something is going on.

It generally happens in the middle of the night - which is an awful thing to wake up to. Loud screeching like he’s being injured. But he generally awakens within 20-30 seconds on his own or shortly after I pick him up. On one instance he took some time to recover from being groggy, but in most cases he is either relaxed and wants to go back to sleep immediately after (when in the middle of the night)or alert and ready for breakfast (when near morning time)

It does not quite seem like a seizure to me, but perhaps I’m in denial because of how bad our other pup had it.

This Pom is 14 years old. He has a few health problems - including Cushings Disease (he is on meds) and a heart murmur. The vet said vocalizing this loud during a seizure is somewhat surprising so I was hoping some of you might comment on that.

As always - I appreciate the support of this forum and wish everyone the best in dealing with their pup’s challenges.

Thanks,
Joe

GentleJacob's Mom

Re: Vocalizing During Seizures?

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 am

Hi Joe,
Before our Jake had his first Grand Mal he used to howl in the middle of the night. We thought he was just dreaming. Then after he started seizing from time to time he would cry or squeal very loud or other times would bark frantically as though someone was trying to hurt him. It usually happened just as he was going into the post ictal phase. Our vet told us she'd seen it before and it was part of seizure activity and that sometimes they see things out of proportion that frightens them or puts them on guard. Things are distorted or much larger or louder than they really are. Luckily it didn't happen often, because it was heartbreaking. Seizures were bad enough on their own. I would talk to your vet again or consult a neurologist if you can. If this is seizure related they can hopefully do something before he has a grand Mal.

Lynne

ezod52

Re: Vocalizing During Seizures?

Post by ezod52 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:15 pm

Thank you for the feedback Lynne

I'm sorry to hear you experienced something similar. It's heartbreaking to hear the screams - and they really sound like screams.

After a week of one episode per day, our pup seems to have stopped. The vet said he thinks it's either seizure or a condition related to heart failure. If he starts having the episodes again we may do a workup of his heart - they do a sonogram and ekg I think. He does have a murmur but vet said it sounded relatively mild. If that's not the issue then I guess we'll see a neurologist or start something like Pheno and see if it helps.

We did bloodwork at the vet and his white count was high so we did a round of antibiotics - which is when the episodes stopped, but I would be surprised if that was related. He did have a big abscess on his shoulder a few months ago which remains unexplained. The little guy is getting older and having more problems. I worry about him non stop. Unfortunately he's quite deaf so I can't comfort him by talking to him. I have to pick him up, which I know is not ideal if he's in a confused state. Luckily he has been pretty 'normal' immediately following these episodes so far

We're just watching and waiting to see what happens next.

Good luck to everyone and their pets
Thanks,
Joe