All dogs in household having seizures

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

MTM

Post by MTM » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:06 am

I guess you can say the meds have contolled the seizures- but my idea of control is no seizures and that didn't happen for Chester and so far not for Murfy or Toby. Chester and Toby's seizures are comparable in severity- quite ugly. Murfy has never had a grand mal since being on the Bromide and averages two a year. I would say Murf is quite controlled over all- if I could get Toby's seizures down to what Murfy experiences, I would call that a victory for him. Toby has had 3 episodes since this all started for him last Feb. The first was a cluster (on the 16 & 17 of Feb. 08 ), then on Nov. 17th he had another seizure- grand mal, but no cluster. March 17th he had another- more severe than in November, but no cluster. (He likes the 17th???)

They have only been on the California Natural food for about a year now and I don't think it is related. We have not had the soil tested and I had not thought of it- but they do lick their feet and that would make sense. I will look into getting that done. We did dig out the driveway w/ a backhoe 2 years ago and we found some glass bottles and fragments of bottles so the driveway was at least part of a dumping ground for the farm. I am not sure it would extend into the backyard or not. The bigger fragments were either liquor bottles or some type of elixir. I collect glass bottles like this so I researched that for reasons unrelated.

As for removing the lead paint, that was never really done. On the interior, it has just been painted over. On the exterior, we had permanent siding put up so that paint too is covered. I couldn't even guess how many layers of paint are on the walls that have not been replaced. There is definitely dust, though and when we cut out some of the walls that could have disturbed the paint. Chester was never around for any of that so it wouldn't explain him...?

I ordered a radon testing kit last night as well as a water testing kit to test for bacteria, nitrates, pH, and lead. The radon kit should at least give me some idea if I need further testing- same with the water. Still no link between radon and seizures but it has its own nasty side effects so might as well find out. The city tested our water when we requested but we never received any official results- just a note saying nothing was detected.

Since Toby's last episode, this has been on my mind constantly. It just isn't normal... maybe one of them is actually epileptic, but which one? Is it in any way possible that all three would be? I am definitely going to have Toby's lead levels checked (Toby rather than Murfy because he gives the vet kisses and Murfy tries to bite him everytime) and if that comes up with something, try and figure out where it is coming from. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions- I hope you and your pups are doing well.
~Marie
Epi:
Murfy -forever free but forever missed <3
Toby -74 lbs, 8.5 yrs old, black lab mix
Meds:
258 mg Phb, .9 mg Thyrosyn and 300 mg Zonisamide BID. Also 575 mg NaBr daily.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:42 pm

Why the 17th of the month? Does anything happen on the days before hand like any treatments for flea, tick or heartworm or do you give them some sort of supplement?
Is this the day you do a certain cleaning thing in your house?
They are not having seizures that often and the drugs do not normal stop them. I was told that success was cutting the seizure occurance in half.
Hopefully any soil testing will show something up.

I wouldn't go by the officials - yo0u never know what they test for, how they test it and did anything really show up. Sometimes it is easier for them to overlook it rather than clean it up. I am alway suspicious of officials. Remember Erin Brocavich !!!!
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

MTM

Post by MTM » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

The one pattern I did notice with Toby and the 17th was in November, it was about 2 weeks after the daylight savings time change. In March, it was about a week and a half after the daylight saving time change. Both times I gradually (over the course of a week) switched the med time back to 8 so it wouldn't be an hour sooner or later than when he was getting meds previously. Other than that, I have no ideas for the 17th. No significance to the date that I am aware of and we do not use flea and tick treatments or anything of the sort like it.

I am still researching how to go about testing soil and I am hopeful... soil would make it more likely for dogs to be affected as opposed to people because we don't normally go lay in the dirt or anything ;) I will let you know what I come up with.
~Marie
Epi:
Meds:

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Please keep in contact as this is quite baffling.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

MTM

Post by MTM » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:33 pm

I don't know anything yet, but I wanted to give a quick update on what has been happening so far. The radon tests have been sent in, waiting on the results. 2nd round of water testing in the works. Toby goes in for a blood draw to be tested for lead on Friday afternoon. I am kind of nervous about this- on one hand, I hate to think of them poisoned. On the other, an answer would be nice...

I can't do a soil sample until the ground is dry and unfrozen and we keep getting snow and rain... :( As soon as the samples can be taken, though, I did locate a place to have it tested for heavy metals.

On a good note, Toby's blood levels came in today and he is on the low end of the therapuetic range for both pheno and bromide, so we are getting fairly decent control with, as the vet said, "a looooong way to go before he is close to maxed out". Other organ function levels all within normal range :) Hope all of you and your pups are resting easy this evening.
~Marie
Epi:
Meds:

Parkersheart

Re: All dogs in household having seizures

Post by Parkersheart » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:09 pm

I know this is old but, I am interested in what you said about using stainless steel bowls.
I would be interested to know how many of us with epi pets use them?
Also, just a note, I agree that it sounds like it could possibly be something in the houshold.
Any smokers, heavy cleaning products, mothballs, etc.?
I'd also like to mention that I recently got back from Canada , and the peole there mentioned seizures were occuring a lot in dogs, and for some of them it turned out to be undiagnosed lyme disease when it was treated, the dogs recovered. just some food for thought.

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:05 am

I changed to stainless steel bowls about 4 years ago, water is still in plastic, hubby smokes cigs outside, all dogs had lyme & erlichia and treated they should probably be tested for new infections now along with myself. Since we do have good control with Kiya I don't beat myself in the head trying to figure it out anymore.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

cathylister

Post by cathylister » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:00 am

Carpeting has excellent and water retenrion equipment tools. carpetcleaninglasvegasnv.com