Video of Jackson's Seizure

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

High_Voltage_Head

Video of Jackson's Seizure

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:31 am

I finally figured out how to use my digital camera as a video recorder....it's actually very simple! I made a short video of Jackson's seizure yesterday and put it on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-ITxln1t8
or else you can search for "dog seizure epilepsy jackson"

The picture is really dark and hard to see but you get the general idea. Anyway, I'm wondering if this looks like a typical seizure to you guys. There are other seizure videos I've seen on YouTube that are much milder than this, so it makes me wonder.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:24 am

That looks like what MK goes thru, but Jackson's are a little more violent.

Have you ever tried occular compression to stop the seizure? How often does Jackson seize these days?

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:40 am

That's very similar to Poppy's - thrashing with all legs all the way through.

God I really feel for these dogs......
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:52 pm

Dylans don`t start that way, but ya, the rest is very close. he doesn`t do the jaw snapping. he foams and drools
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:51 pm

Good, i'm glad we're all in the same boat i guess. The neuro says it looks pretty "normal" too.

Vivian, I have tried occular compression, but not since last year. I was never sure how much pressure to use or the frequency etc, and it never did any good the way i was doing it. In fact, the last time i did it was the time he went into status, and during the week after that his eyes were all squirrely, and i kept wondering if there was a connection.

Jackson went 11 days without a seizure this time, which is the longest he's gone in 9 months! But then he had another one the next day, which is the one on the video. His pattern seems to be evolving the past few months. A bit longer between seizures, but then followed by another one the next day. He never did that before.

It's interesting how certain patterns last a few months and then evolve into something else for a few months. The first year of seizures he would be back on his feet and running into walls within 2-3 minutes of the seizure. Then he changed after a year and just lay on the floor quietly afterwards for up to an hour....that made life easier. Now it has evolved again to where he struggles really hard to stand up for 10 minutes after the seizure and then he finally relaxes and just lies there for an hour.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:30 am

Poor Jackson doesn't have it easy with his seizures. I wish the researchers could come up with a reason why so many of the dogs are hard to control. Better yet, a cure for the blasted disorder.

V
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:41 pm

I got to see the video, wish I didn't. Glad it was dark, kind of feel like we just went thru one. I've seen Kiya walk across the room & just fall to the ground & go right into it, seems about the same lenght of time. Couldn't make out too much of the begining of the video but there's no mistaking those legs.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

Melissa and Raven

Post by Melissa and Raven » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:02 am

I agree with Carolyn...glad it was dark. POOR JACKSON. I've only witnessed one of Raven's (That GAWD) so far and her legs go stiff straight out like she's stretching. She drools a lot and had bitten through her tounge. She makes breathless gags that sound as if she's sufficating. The flooring is soaked when done from drool, urine and poop.

Jackson is gorgeous Kurt. Sorry we're all witnessing our babies suffering. Thank goodness Dr. Barb L told me about this site.
Felt like I was alone. All my friends have children or are having children, my children happened to be four legged. But my friends don't want to hear about dogs when they are all holding infants. And quite frankly, you don't want to share with them, they pretend to be interested and care...but they really just want to get back to talking about bug-a-boo strollers or 3-d ultra sounds.

Not an outsider anymore.

M.

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:21 pm

DELETED

Bethelonia

Post by Bethelonia » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:11 pm

My dog, TJ, does not paddle her legs like that, she convulses violently and howls and yelps, her neck is extended and twisted, she clenches her teeth, she pees but never poops, her eyes are closed or rolled back.

I cannot tell when a seizure is coming on and most often a cluster begins with a seizure while she is sleeping. Not all seizures happen while she is sleeping but most do.
TJ: JRT born on 9-11-01. Genetic neuro disorders including seizures, first one at 5 mo., after that many clusters, may she Rest In Peace, PTS on 12/31/07.
KC: 8 mo. golden lab/terrier who is lost without her best buddy.