Is Lead Poisoning Our Dogs?

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Melissa and Raven

Is Lead Poisoning Our Dogs?

Post by Melissa and Raven » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:36 pm

I had a really hard time trying to decide which category header to put this under. Sometimes I wish this site wasn't separated like that as I think this is important for all of us to consider. Not sure how long this link will be valid for.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pages ... 1.1&sflg=1

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:41 pm

I watched the link. It's very scary. Just something you don't consider.
We had a warning in our newspapers a few weeks ago about the number of toys and other products being recalled because of all the chemicals China had put in them. The warning was mainly about kids toys but it did say that many dog chews (rawhides) had dangerous levels of arsenic etc in them.
It also included toothpaste with anti freeze in it !!!!!!!!!!!
KiKi used to play with those balls with the paw prints on them and Brock had one but destroyed it so fast that I never bothered to get any more. I sure as hell won't be buying any now.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:27 am

Dylan had tennis balls with pawprint, but it was white, don`t guess that makes a diffrence. never had plastice squeeky toys, but have had colored frisbees. maybe when he has his next blood test I will have the vet check for lead.
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:10 pm

My dogs have also had these tennis balls but after hearing about the lead paint on some dog toys quite a while ago, I threw away the majority of their toy collection.
They have a few Kong toys now, plus a few Jolly Balls, which are "supposed" to be safe.

Are lead levels on normal blood tests? Sounds like something epi dogs should be checked for...