Idiopathic Seizures?

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Nancy Antoniak

Licking

Post by Nancy Antoniak » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:49 pm

One of the Drs. I work with said that the licking could be a mild seizure! He has slowed down this week, so I am wondering if this could be true?
Trucker: German Shepherd Mix
D.O.B 3/22/03
M/n
First seizure 9/7/05
Taking 1gr Pheno 4t BID
Valium tabs. and inj. for back-up (Clusters)

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:12 am

this is such a hard thing to deal with.
seizures can vary so much, from just rapid eye movments that most times arn`t even noticed, to the full blown flop on the floor no doubt in your mind thing.
and as for
dogs in pain, they are truely amazing.they never show it. I had a lab that had a very intense battle with cancer. you knew she had pain, but never whimpered once, and would always wag her tail when I was talking to her
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Nancy Antoniak

Post by Nancy Antoniak » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:32 am

The other Dr. that I work with said it could be a "silent" seizure. Trucker had a real bad New Year's and the licking started after that. He has slowed down since then. I have only seen him do it once since then.
Trucker: German Shepherd Mix
D.O.B 3/22/03
M/n
First seizure 9/7/05
Taking 1gr Pheno 4t BID
Valium tabs. and inj. for back-up (Clusters)

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:55 pm

At one of the times that I was at the emergency vet with KiKi they had a Sharpai there that had been used in dog fighting. It was really chewed up but never made a sound. When I asked about this the vet said that if a dog is in pain it rarely makes a noise. The yelping etc is due to a sudden reaction like a stab but then after that nothing. So be aware just because the dog is not making a noise does not mean it is not in pain. Look out for shuddering - that is pain related.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux