Rap music caused seizures in woman

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Carolyn

Rap music caused seizures in woman

Post by Carolyn » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:23 pm

I heard the story on the news last night, a young woman realized after a few seizures that her trigger was a rap song. Doctors were able to induce the seizures by playing the song, she had surgery and hasn't had a seizure in 4 months. (If you go to www.abcnews.com type in epilepsy you can read the whole story).
It is certainly not a laughing or joking matter, but it did make me smile, I don't like rap music & now I definately wont let Kiya listen to any!
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:55 pm

Whoa! That's so bizarre! I must admit I like some rap, but not his...LOL!
It's amazing that she figured it out (with so many triggers out there). Even cooler that she proved doctors wrong that thought it wasn't possible.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:06 pm

I have heard of flashing lights causing seizures but never music - still stranger things have happened.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:07 pm

I am drawn to human stories of epilepsy, since Kiya can not tell me whats going on I hope by me understanding more I can help her more. I watched the story on tv, and when the woman (young girl) decribed she felt an "aura" & knew the seizure was coming on & she put 2&2 together remembering the music was playing. Well the last one Kiya had I was sitting on the couch I don't remember exactly what happened, she was laying down (not flat on her side) but all of a sudden she got tense & kinda put her head up & I knew here we go.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:52 pm

I've heard of flashing (or strobe) lights being a trigger too. I almost brought Ada with me one time when I had to follow a plow truck the whole way home and was SOME glad I didn't bring her with me because the lights gave ME a headache!

Ada always lays down and won't pick her head up off the floor when she's going to have one. I can tell if I call her name and she looks at me from the floor without picking her chin up. It would be cool if there was some way we could train them to ring a bell or something if they felt it coming, wouldn't it?

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:16 pm

DELETED