Tapeworms in the brain ??

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

claires friend

Tapeworms in the brain ??

Post by claires friend » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:20 pm

Has anyone ever herad of them causing seizures in dogs???
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:41 am

I read a while ago of some sort of worm being found in a brain but not sure if it was a tape worm. Isn't it worms in the brain that causes whales to run aground so I can see where it may cause seizures. Anything in the brain other than the brain cannot be good.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Melissa and Raven

Post by Melissa and Raven » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:46 pm

claires friend

Post by claires friend » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:14 am

Thanks for the link. I had read that and some other stuff off VIN. It's a long shot, but she seems to have had problems with tape worms all her life. Got the idea off an episode of "House". We are worming her now. A little scary if they really are in her brain, they could kill her when they die!
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:58 pm

DELETED

Estevan

Re: Tapeworms in the brain ??

Post by Estevan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:13 am

Well this decease can be through from the worm such worm which lives in the dirt and if your pet lives in the dirt than it may effect them more.

southflo

Post by southflo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:52 am

Yes I think this can occur its called cystericosis although I think its pretty rare for it to occur in the brain. I think it can happen with some other worms as well. I often wonder if my dogs had some sort of parasite like that which affected them as well. Their symptoms kind of suggested it.

Anilasunny30

Post by Anilasunny30 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:05 am

There have been cases in which the tapeworms and roundworms in the intestines migrate to the brains of dogs. this can lead to serous issues like fits and convulsions with frothing at the mouth and champing of the jaws. So take them to a vet if you doubt a worm infection.
Broken glass windows can be a hazard for your health. It is good that you replace them at the earliest. Contact us for more details.

sandrabaker

Post by sandrabaker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi, this is interesting, my vet has never mentioned anything like this happening, so I will be asking about it next time I visit. How do they diagnose it? Maybe a brain scan is required - costly I would think - thanks for the info.
Sandra & Bronte.

patco

Post by patco » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:24 pm

southflo wrote:Yes I think this can occur its called cystericosis although I think its pretty rare for it to occur in the brain. I think it can happen with some other worms as well. I often wonder if my dogs had some sort of parasite like that which affected them as well. Their symptoms kind of suggested it.
I didn't know this fact... Interesting...
It's not so hard to raise and train a dog as long as you know what exactly to do... A good community to read some good dog training tips where you can learn a lot.