Why Raven?

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Melissa and Raven

Why Raven?

Post by Melissa and Raven » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:35 am

Vivian and Jane will understand where I'm coming from as you ladies have been my support since Raven's first seizure.

As you know, I feed 10-15% raw, 40% home cooking and then the rest of their diets is from the 6* all natural kibble review from dogfoodanalysis.com.

On March 28th I have all three furkids a raw deer rib which they've had a million times before. Raven for some reason was on chew strike and swallowed it in full. Off to Guelph we go. They removed it surgically. While in there, they found a nodule on her spleen and sent it for biopsy. The biopsy came back malignant. The prognosis a hemongiosarcoma. A highly aggressive tumor which is almost always fatal. Radiographs and biopsy's during her splendecomy cleared her lungs, heart, liver and kidneys (for now)
On April 21st I rushed her back as her stitches were leaking and not healing. They did another emergency surgery as she had infection and it was draining into her abdomen.
She is still at Guelp. 3 surgeries in 30 days. I'm sure she feels like a jig-saw puzzle and I pray that she doesn't think we've abandoned her.
She's weak. But some how her eyes and spirit tell me she is not ready to die. She is SUCH a soldier, a trooper. She is a fighter.
My husband and I are lost. Emotionally drained and scared.
They simply do not find this type of cancer until the spleen grows astrinomically and bleed out and the animal usually collapses. We are so confused as to what to do for her. Is Chemo the answer? Ultimately this will take her life. She will bleed out from somewhere else since she no longer has a spleen. But do we prolong that with Chemo? Or do we monitor her from home and regular vet visits and decide on euthanasia when we feel she's getting close?
We speak to Oncology tomorrow when we visit.

I guess, I'm just asking for you all to pray for my girl. She's been through SO much. I'm actually getting angry at this point...I better not get into heaven because I will kick some a** when I get there.

Melissa

claires friend

Post by claires friend » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:14 pm

I am so very sorry to hear this news. We have lost many, many of our beautiful Golden Retrievers to the evil Hemangio. I have followed many dogs and it seems no matter what the treatment the out come is always the same. The one exception is when it is in the skin, they seem to be able to go a little longer. Our 15 year old Golden collapsed one night and x-rays showed a spleenic tumor, we decided at that age, to put a dog through the operation to only get 60- 90 more days (if she survived the surgery) wouldn't be right. We hoped she would recover from the bleed and that we would have a few more days. Unfortunately she did not and once she began to suffer, we let her go. I think that with Raven's situation, I would just enjoy the days you have left to the fullest. I am so sorry to say that to you, but I know you would never want her to suffer. If it was even a year that chemo might buy you, you might consider it, but I have never seen that happen. Please feel free to contact me if you need, I know way more than I ever could want to about this awful cancer. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:14 pm

Melissa,

I am soooooo sorry to hear this about Raven. YOu have every right to feel angry because it seems like some dogs get it all and this isn't fair.

As for the hemangiosarcoma, it's entirely up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Ask your vet to be completely honest with you in regards to her prognosis and take it from there. My first Irish had melanoma in her forechest and we put her thru surgery only to lose her 3 weeks later. Back then, they didn't have the tests and such that they have now and to be honest, the vets at Michigan State University thought she had a cancer that chemo would help her with, but it was not to be.

Hemangios are very bad as Susan can attest. I know they're a particular problem in Goldens like she told you and I'm guessing Susan is more knowledgeable in this respect and would be a good support to you. Only you know how Raven is doing because you live with her and know her ways. Trouble is, with pain dogs have such a good way of masking their agony and won't let on that they're suffering. This is going to be very hard for you, but Raven doesn't want to spend her last days suffering like I let my Irish do, all because I didn't want to put her to sleep too early and she paid the price for it. Eighteen years later and I'm still feeling very guilty about that, so don't let Raven go too long. Just watch her and see, then you'll know what you need to do.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi Melissa,
Sorry it has come to this but you know what the problem is now. As hard as it is you have to decide wether you are keeping her going for her sake or for yours.
You know you will have the support of everyone here no matter what your decision is.
Thinking of you all right now.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Melissa and Raven

Post by Melissa and Raven » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:55 pm

Emotional day. Just got back from seeing her. She's in way better shape than she was on Friday. She's down from 3 drains to 2. She is stinky! Phew! Washed her face and her bum while we were there.

Dr. said she *may* be able to come home Tuesday...I'm in no rush at this point, want to MAKE SURE there is no infection before I bring her home...because if it doesn't heal - no more surgeries...my husband and I have agreed on that. They are doing her no good.

So if she does heal, and comes home. We've decided not to proceed with Chemo, and have her monitored very closely by our vet. Perhaps every 2 week visits...eventually moving to weekly.

I'm a mess. That is all I really know. I want her home for walks and hikes. I want to see her play again, I'll feel better I think when I know she's "living" and not just "alive"

Thanks.

Melissa and Raven
Raven - Black female SP rescued at 6 years old. Neurological issues, allergies to wheat and poultry, GM Seizures on 2.8ml of Kbr a day, dental surgery last year and had jaw implant, swollowed a bone in March 09, Cancer in April 09 - now infection. SHE SURE PULLED THE SHORT STRAW.
George - Apricot Male SP from what mom believes to be a good breeder. 1 focal seizure in March (one day before Raven swallowed the bone!) but did fall down the stairs wrestling with Gus Gus. Now seeing a chiropractor
Gus Gus - Red Male SP mom rescued me from a puppy mill in July 08 when her work (SPCA) did a huge removal. So far - so good!
Jack - 15 year old Silver Tabby. Adopted at 3 years old. Heart murmur and had blastiomycosis 5 years ago. Mom figures I still have 6 lives left.

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:16 am

Hi Melissa

So so sorry to hear avout Raven, she really is a fighter, isn't she? What a dreadful shock to find out she had a tumor - I can't imagine how you must be feeling, it's hard enough dealing with the seizures alone.

Sending positive vibes to you and Raven.

Mandy & Poppy xxx
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:27 am

Melissa,

That's good news that Raven is feeling better!!! Keep us posted as to how she is coming along

Give her some smooches from all of us, too!!!

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Melissa and Raven

Post by Melissa and Raven » Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Sorry there wasn't any updates for a while, I think this last surgery was the one, she looks GREAT this time. She's snoring at the front door. Cone on her head and cone around her waist so she cannot scratch her stitches with her back foot. She's also wrapped around the waist with purple vet wrap. They always choose purple for her. Probably because of her pink collar. I hate purple. Oh well.
I complained BIG TIME to the surgeon (even though I know he expects his team to be doing that part and they tell him they are) about her cleanliness when we went to visit her on Sunday. I've always just mentioned it and I get the "well we wipe her down every time she eats or goes to the washroom". Finally I said "I'm sorry...but I know my dog and her cleanliness habits...even when she is sick, and if I clean her face every 2 days she doesn't get this bad - this is DAYS of not being taken care of and considering we are dealing with possible infection by contamination, I'd like her taken care of better" I kick myself for not freaking out earlier. Fool. She was spotless when I picked her up today. They even threw in a bottle of surolan for her darn ear infection she got while she was there. I'm pissed actually. Sorry for the language but it's pretty fresh right now.
We are not out of the water, not for a long shot. It will be about 8-10 days before they'll consider taking stitches out so cross your fingers.
The not scratching is driving her crazy. Sometimes while she sleeps she shakes as if she is seizuring for about 2 seconds from wanting to scratch but can't. It freaks me out. But makes me smile when I know she's healthy enough to be bothered by it.
This will be her last surgery. We cannot open her again so Jeff and I are not taking any chances. No visitors, no leaving her alone without locking her up fully coned and quiet and the boys are not allowed within 5 feet of her. They all hate us right now:)

We are so happy to have her home. I feel the level of female hormones in the house finally leveling out...

We'll do what we think is right for Raven for quality of life, and we will not prolong anything if we think she'll have more bad days than good in front of her. Her eyes and her spirit are wonderful right now. Funny, outgoing and bright and alert. Things look very good right now. I'll know better this afternoon. I drop her off at my vets this morning so they can take a look at her stitches and her over all health. It's been 55 hrs since we got her home. You'll hear form me in a few days.

Thanks support team. You guys are the best. My mom doesn't even support me like you all do.

You can go to my website on her...I'll post a recent picture of her there with her cone head. Her little lamb ears make me melt.

It is strange to have your heart melt and break all at the same time.

(((HUGS)))

Melissa and all her critters.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri May 01, 2009 6:34 am

I know how happy you are to have Raven home where she belongs!!!

As for the lack of cleanliness, they do the same for humans who cannot clean themselves up. It's a sad state of affairs when a pet or a human goes to the hospital to be healed and comes out sick or dead because of their lack of concern. Hospitals are the worst places on earth to go when you're sick.

We'll await your website link and some updates.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Melissa and Raven

Post by Melissa and Raven » Fri May 01, 2009 7:44 am

Just click on my www button. It will take you to Raven's Dogster page.

M.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri May 01, 2009 9:59 am

Raven is sooo pretty! I felt sorry for her looking so forlorn with the e-collar on!!! I really liked the picture in the snow, they looked like they were having a great time.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Melissa and Raven

Post by Melissa and Raven » Fri May 01, 2009 11:51 am

Thank you Vivian...I think she's pretty too.

Just got back from her check up. Her stitches look really good. They expect they can take them out next week. They did find a fatty lump on her side...
For another day.

Right now, I'm just so happy she's healing.

Melissa

claires friend

Post by claires friend » Fri May 01, 2009 3:45 pm

Way to go Raven...and Mom !!!!!
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

Melissa and Raven

Sleep in peace my sweet pea

Post by Melissa and Raven » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:56 am

Hello everyone,

At 3:30 this morning my girl lost her battle with Epilepsy and cancer. We said goodbye in the emergency room and my heart is broken. She never looked more beautiful.

I've grown attached to your dogs and your hearts and I'll check back to read updates from time to time.

Sincerely,

Raven's mom.

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:10 am

Dear Melissa

I'm so, so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you at this time.

Take care.
Mandy & Poppy x
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily