Rocky's Thyroid

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

debra6

Rocky's Thyroid

Post by debra6 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:16 pm

Is LOW!!! WooHooo! This is good because the vet had said before that he didn't see a reason to test for it because Rocky was so healthy and young. But they just did the panel with his yearly blood work and it is low! Which could be the reason for the seizures and an explanition as to why he is sooo fat! He is starting on thyroid meds today! I just wanted to share.
Deb

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:17 pm

Be careful with the thyroid meds as they will up the metabolism rate and this in turn needs to have the other meds INCREASED.
Do not try to lower the anti-seizure meds until the thyroid is under control.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

kbugs

thyroid

Post by kbugs » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:03 am

We too, are hoping for a low thyroid, and have started levothyroxine, just in case, as it will not hurt her. It would also explain our 30# weight gain since the seizures began in Jan, with no change in diet. Our panel should be back this week or the first of next, due to the holiday. paws and fingers crossed.
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

kbugs

thyroid

Post by kbugs » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:33 pm

Jezzabelle's panel came back extremely low in all levels but the overall thyroid. She is staying on the levothyroxine. We have now gone 7 days seizure-free and it is wonderful......she is Jezzy again, playing, running, and romping with the puppy. I emailed the results to Dr. Dodd and she agreed with the meds and thinks we may be on the right track at the moment anyway. She is now on 4 gr. PB/day, Gabapentin 600 mg. three times a day, and the levothyroxine twice a day. We have room with all the meds if the seizures return. The vet wants to start lowering meds if she remains seizure-free for a month, but I am skeptical of starting it so soon, but first we have to reach the one month mark. I know she will have another seizure, just relishing in the moment while we can.

Kay and Jezzabelle
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:03 pm

Your vet needs to do some serious reading. It is VERY unwise to try and lower the meds after one month especially where low thyroid is concerned.
I know 1st hand as this is what happened to my precious girl. She went on thyroid meds - the vet started to lower her anti-seizure meds and wham - she went into status and I lost her.
BE CAREFUL
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

kbugs

Post by kbugs » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:18 pm

skrpio wrote:Your vet needs to do some serious reading. It is VERY unwise to try and lower the meds after one month especially where low thyroid is concerned.
I am very prepared to have a major discussion if we make the one-month mark. I will go in with documentation in hand. I do not want to change anything. Jezzabelle now has a quality of life and I will not risk that for anything!!!!

Kay and Jezzabelle
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

kbugs

Well that didn't work

Post by kbugs » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:19 am

Our sweet relief is over. Jezzy started seizing this morning at 7:15 am. 7:15 am. this morning, One bad GM, followed by 3 clusters, another GM, more clusters, and a final (I think) GM. I had one Valium suppository left, used that at the onset, got out the ice for the back, and gave her 2 gr. PB when she came out of the first GM....after the second GM I gave her 2 more pb and 300 mg. Gabapentin, and called the vet. After the third GM I knew I couldn�t give her any more meds without the vet. I think she has enough drugs in her to keep her quiet for the time being. The seizing stopped at 8:20 am hopefully and right now, she is highly sedated between the Gabapentin and the PB. We are in a holding pattern right now, hoping she will sleep it off. The vet is waiting for the call. Temp has stayed pretty cool, didn�t go above 103.9. I was soooooooooooo hoping.

We actually made it 14 days seizure free and it was wonderful while it lasted. Back to the drawing board. KBr is out, Keppra is out, we are running out of options.
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

lbk9

Jezzabelle

Post by lbk9 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:47 pm

kbugs -- I am new to this website and just read your post. I am so sorry to hear of the disappointment you are having with your pup. I have been through it with two of my dogs (also frustrating!) and know about the ups and downs. Just when you think you've got the right meds and think you can breathe a sigh of relief, BAM!

I lost my first seizure dog almost a year ago (age 12). They thought she had a brain tumor. Shortly before Molly died, one of my other dogs started having seizures. Now I am dealing with the side effects of the meds. I'm not sure which is worse.

Anyway, I know how devastated you must feel, especially when you think you've tried everything and you end up back at square one. Just lately my vet told me he thinks my other dog may have a brain tumor (I think it's side effects of potassium bromide) and it really hit me hard. I hope the vets are able to help your Jezzy. Keep us posted!

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:57 am

Why can't you use KBr? I think you told us, but I can't remember. Please refresh my memory.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

kbugs

Post by kbugs » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:10 pm

The Kbr caused pancreatitis that almost killed her. She was one of the lucky ones, who can't tolerate the potassium bromide.
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

athomas989

Re: Rocky's Thyroid

Post by athomas989 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:44 am

We are running out if options now as well..Apollo has had 3 days in a row of bad clusters that have lasted over an hour. Right now he is having a terrible post iticial that my husband is witnessing.
I am leaving work early just to be with my poor Apollo because I don't know how much more his body can take. Last night his temperature seemed high so we wrapped him I'm cold towels to so the him. He panted all night his heart racing
I was worried he was going to have a heart attack

I called the vet this morning to demand the rectal valium because as of yet they have not given it to him
I'm at such a lost. We keep upping his meds. The vet last night upped his keppra to 1.5 tablets three times daily
He is on a heavy medication regimen but nothing seems to be working at the moment
I'm so so sad.
Apollo-4 year old Boxer
1st seizure: April 2012
Last seizure: 2/13/16
Pheno-64.8mg 2 pills BID
Zonisamide-100mg 2 capsules BID
Potassuim Bromide-250 mg 4 cc once daily
Keppra-750mg TID
Clorazepate/Rectal Valium-as needed when a seizure occurs

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:03 pm

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Is your vet saying why you can't get a prescription for rectal valium? Will they give you Valium tablets? Also, are you giving Apollo extra doses of Pb and Keppra to keep the clusters under control? We give Jake an extra dose of Pb as soon as he can take it after a seizure. Then if he needs it I give him 250mgs of keppra at 9am and 9pm during the first 24 hours. Since Apollo is a boxer I would imagine that would be more like 125mgs. If he's really not calming down I will give him up to 1 tablet of Pb a couple of times during that day too. I see that you're giving Clorazepate but I couldn't remember what Apollo's regimen is post seizure. Yes, this can make them very dopey but it's better than having them seizing. I can't understand your vets hesitation to give you Valium.

Lynne

athomas989

Post by athomas989 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:00 am

Thank you so much for your response Lynne. Sad that we all have to go thru this, but it feels better that we have each other to understand what it is like.
I was very demanding on Tuesday when I called the vet for the rectal valium. They decided to give it to me. I will pick that up tonight after work since it wasnt ready yesterday. As of right now, I do not have directions on when I give it to him. (post seizure or during??) Do you give this? When do you give it? I plan to ask the pharmacist all these questions at pickup.
Apollo really does not have a post seizure regimen as far as meds besides giving the Clorazepate as soon as he seizes then every 8 hours for 48 hours. During his two recent episodes the vets I have talked to uped the Phb and now the Keppra. However they have never told me to give extra doses during the post ictial period. Which now I am seeing that is what alot of people are told to do. It sounds to me that my vets arent too familiar with extreme cases like Apollo's epilepsy, which is weird to me because they are my county's animal hospital. Open 24/7 365 days a year. I have educated myself alot about this horrible disease and have been given alot of great advice from great people like yourself.
Apollo seemed better last night. He was having a few little ticks and one breakthrough seizure that lasted a few seconds. But thankfully he seems to be coming out of the post ictial period, which this one was the worst we have experienced with him. Tuesday I gave him some anxiety meds to calm him down (since I didnt have to valuim) because at that point he hadnt slept in 2 days -- so since he has been sleeping he seems to be getting more himself.
I thank you for your time in writing me back and I will take your advice with giving him extra doses of Phb and Keppra during times of his bad days.
Apollo-4 year old Boxer
Pheno-64.8mg 2 pills BID
Keppra-750mg TID

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:36 am

I'm sorry that you all and Apollo are having such a hard time. I really do think that epilepsy really stumps a lot of vets and it's up to us to do the research and be an advocate for our babies.

I'm not sure about Apollo, but I usually give the Valium during a seizure and will give him the PB (he only takes it on days he seizes and for 3 days after because of previous liver failure). I have to be careful about when I give the doses of Valium and PB because Shiloh's ataxia will be HORRIBLE with the two of those drugs together. It could be because he's not used to taking the PB on a regular basis, but when he has the Valium & PB he literally can't walk. It doesn't help that his back legs don't work right, but it's really sad to see him not be able to stand except maybe to take 1-2 steps. Because we've recently added in the PB I'm still trying to work out how to give both.

Hope this finds you all doing better.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

athomas989

Post by athomas989 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:28 pm

Thank you Colleen. And thank you for responding as well. You were actually on my mind when I posted because I have taken alot of your advice (milk thistle, holistic food) and was actually hoping you would respond.
I picked up the Valium last night after work, and it does say to give at the start of a seizure. So I will do that as well. They compounded 5 for us. I am assuming that I just give him 1 per episode correct? (it will knock him out and allow him to sleep I am assuming--that is what happens when we take him to the vet in an emergency and they give him the IV valium) ...
Apollo is about 93% back to normal. We took our usually walk last night, he is alittle wobbly at times but other than that he seems okay. He also ate a normal bowl of food last night, which he hadnt since Monday.
I hope that this past episode is just his normal cyle (which seems to be once a month) However, the post ictial was the worst this week. Hoping the valium helps with that.
Apollo-4 year old Boxer
Pheno-64.8mg 2 pills BID
Keppra-750mg TID