Rocky's Thyroid

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

ShilohsMom

Re: Rocky's Thyroid

Post by ShilohsMom » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:07 pm

You might check with your vet on how they want you to dose Apollo, but for me, I give for the first seizure and then add the PB 2x a day. My vet had me pull back on how often I was giving Valium because it didn't really help Shiloh all that much in reducing the seizures. Valium will not necessarily make them sleepy and help with post ictal. It doesn't with Shiloh. Shiloh's scheduled dose of Valium is 30mg, but find that for him it seemed to make him edgier and he did better with about 20mg. Each dog is different and will respond differently so it's always good to check with your vet.

Post ictal in some ways can be worse than the seizures as far as the toll they take on us. When Shiloh has a fair amount during the cluster his post ictal can last DAYS. He makes me batty, he'll be up all night pacing, sticking his nose in my face to check on me, whining, trying to chew on everything. It can be really frustrating to get through that. It must be very confusing for them as well.

Glad to hear that Apollo is getting back to his normal self. It's always nice to have good days. Prayers for many more.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16