Keppra level testing

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Gentle Jacob's mom

Keppra level testing

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:04 pm

I remember reading that some of the epi dog's have had their Keppra levels tested and I was wondering what lab did the tests and how much it costs. Our neurologist has suggested we have the test done and they say it will cost "at least" $200.00. Normally we wouldn't have a problem with that but we're still recovering financially from both of Jake's surgeries and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they paid etc.
Hope everyone is doing well.

Linda

MK's mom

Re: Keppra level testing

Post by MK's mom » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:50 am

I had MK's done and the only place that could do it was a human hospital I got a special rate, which was $120 and the test was repeated for free because MK's level was <1 and the lab people didn't think that reading could be accurate, but the reading came back the same thing the 2nd time. We did the blood draw close to the trough time and 2 hours after dosage the 2nd time, so the neuro said MK must have metabolized keppra too quickly as the levetiracetam didn't seem to help him much. The neuro also didn't have an answer as to why MK seemingly metabolized the drug so quickly.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Thank you Vivian. I just contacted our vet to see what she thinks. There is a lab at Auburn University that does it but it's a bit pricey. We're probably going to be adjusting Jake's meds a little. We had a reminder last weekend of how quickly things can change. Jake's seizures have been very very mild for awhile now and only about 30-40 seconds long. Sat he had a seizure and seemed to come though it as they have been, and about 2 hours later he suddenly got very jumpy so we did occular compression and got advice from our vet of what to do and kept him from seizing. Then around 5 am on Sun he had a 10 minute focal seizure and went right back to sleep. We continued the extra pb and vallium that day and so far so good. The neurologist suggested the test to see how his levels are. Jake's had the best year so far, so I guess I shouldn't complain, but it's just scary. He's doing fine now and we're hoping it stays that way. I hate this @@#%$@# disease.

Linda

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Linda, I know how you feel. Epilepsy is one dragon I wish I could slay!!!!

How long has Jake been on the keppra? As I mentioned before, MK's seizures became more frequent when he was on the levetiracetam and when I weaned him off he didn't have any seizures at all, so we know it was doing so little for him in the way of seizure control. Keppra/levetiracetam is wonderful in that it has no side effects, I wish it had done more for my boy than it did.

Good luck with Jake and keep us posted.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi Vivian,
Jake's been on Keppra for over a year. It has helped him. This is the first real hiccup we've had in that time. As always it's a wait and see game.
Thank you for your support.

Linda

Choppersmom

Post by Choppersmom » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi there. I just had a consultation today and they want to do a Keppra test in 3 weeks. They quoted $250 just for the test and it would be sent to Auburn. This didn't include all of the hospital stay, etc that they would charge for Peak/Trough.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:54 pm

Yes, I think Peak/Trough costs more than just a standard level check. When we did the peak/trough I spent the entire day a hour away to avoid the hospital stay charge. To take him back and forth. This testing is so expensive, I don't know how anyone is supposed to afford this.

Lynne

Choppersmom

Post by Choppersmom » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:03 pm

I never thought of this. I live very close so I don't know why I couldn't do that. She also was hesitant on doing the Zonisimide test (also $250) but I may opt out of that. She seemed as if she was going to try to wean him off of that or at least lower the dose because that was the first thing he was on, and it didn't work at all. No need to be something that you known doesn't work.

bethmcclure

Post by bethmcclure » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:13 am

I don't think 200 dollars is such a big amount when considering the service that we receive. :wink:
To have a good service for your pet, a perfect care option, then please don't care about money and have the service which is preferred. :idea:

Beth McClure
Expat living