Thyroid ???

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Chris Douglas

Thyroid ???

Post by Chris Douglas » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:27 am

soooo .. how important is a thyroid test beyond the simple test of a blood test that check's a multitude of things? ...5 panel thyroid test or 6 panel test? ...

and what are the average cost for em? ... do you have your vet send em' off to the lab of their choice or do you bring up the Dr. Dodd stuff ...

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... ctions.htm

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... foForm.htm

which to me being last updated ..."Revised 02/01/11" ... seems rather old ... :shock:

the reason I'm asking this is I wonder if Molly who's a female brittany and is on the rather small size(27 lbs) for that breed might have a thyroid issue ... and she was only 20 lbs at 1 year of age up to last year... but has put on some weight just since last year when I changed her up for a while to Diamond Natural Food before going back to the store bought stuff ... she has maintained the 27 lbs even after going back on store bought dog food though ...

any thoughts anyone, greatly appreciated ...

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

MK's mom

Re: Thyroid ???

Post by MK's mom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Chris,

Thyroid is usually one of the first things checked when a dog seizes. You'll want to get the full panel thyroid test, which will check the TSH and the T's. My boy had his first seizure on July 26 and I insisted on the full panel out of Michigan State and it came back that he has thyroiditis, which can go into full blown hypothyroid. They didn't want to put him on thyroid meds at the time, but he just had a cluster of seizures two days ago, so we're going to revisit this when I take him to my primary vet. (had to admit him into the emergency hospital to stop the cluster). Jean Dodds told me to put him on soloxine right away, my vet didn't agree, so I get to decide who is right and who is wrong. The emergency vet said the thyroiditis could have caused the seizures.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:21 am

Hi Vivian,

thanks for the info. ... when you say a "full panel thyroid test" that must mean the 6 .... guessing since it'a a higher number ... lol ... my ignorance is showing, oh well ... :D

just read your other post and wonder if the thyroid issue is taken care of as far as "under control" with the med's. then just wondering ... does that mean that maybe Nat won't have any more seizure's ... :D

I wish I had had a better vet. when my girl 1st started seizing cause I can't help but think that if more had been done at that time to help control the seizure's then maybe she wouldn't have become so "hard-wired" to have them ... it's like the more they have then the easier they end up having them ... :(
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:30 am

Chris,

It's hard to know what is right and what is wrong when dealing with this monster. Yes, the more they seize the more they WILL seize, so had you gotten better control in the beginning things might be different..or maybe not. My first epi boy started out cluster seizing, so he was sent to a neurologist right off the bat where he got an MRI and a spinal tap to rule out different things. It didn't make a bit of difference because they didn't find anything and he clustered all of his life until he passed away at 5 yo from pneumonia. It's a very hard battle and when you don't know what is causing the seizures it's like poking around in the dark. People who have dogs that seize once in a while and/or have good control of the seizures with medication don't usually come to this site, it's those of us that are doing our best to get this under control and it's like one step forward and two steps back.

This is the only site I've ever been a part of where everyone is civil and wants to help each other, it's such a wonderful place. At least our dogs have a better chance because we can share our experiences and sometimes we do a lot of good for someone else, but it's still so hard. Often times no matter how hard we try to help our kids, the universe has other plans.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi Vivian,

yup ... pokin' around in the dark ... grasping at straw's ... trying anything and everything ... rackin' your brain for ... for ... for ... and coming to terms with living with whatever happen's cause there isn't anything else you can do ... sometime's I think, "this must be why these special kids came into our lives, cause they needed to be with special people who would care to this extent"
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13